Marshalls required!

Details and discussion on the Half Marathon and 10k race being held in Campbeltown on Sunday 29th May 2016 at 10.30am plus general discussion about running in Kintyre! Or visit their website at www.mokrun.com

Marshalls required!

Postby Tom B » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:10 pm

We're still on the look-out for a few marshalls and folk to help at water stops etc. If you are available, please drop me a PM. If you've already offered, I have your details, and will be in touch shortly!

The marshall briefing will be at 9.30/9.45, and depending where you are on the course, you will be finished up by 1.30 at the latest. There'll be refreshments available afterwards for all those helping out on marshalling duties!

Thanks
Last edited by Tom B on Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Malky » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:34 pm

Tom, what's the story with medical cover? My wife is asking as she can offer her services. She used to help on the Glasgow Marathon (many moons ago).

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Jeanette » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:56 pm

Sorry if this has been answered in an earlier posting I was talking to someone today who had been interested in trying the marathon but his concern was the different running surfaces. he was led to believe that it would be tarmac on to rough track then a stretch of beach. He has only ever run on tarmac. He also raised the issue of medical cover Malky. what is the status on that?

What is the route and was he right in thinking it was varying surfaces?

Just curious :?:

jeanette
Jeanette
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Tom B » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:42 pm

On medical cover, the Red Cross are providing "first response", we are meeting with them on 15 May to go round the courses, and agree where they will be positioned. We are advising Scottish Ambulance Service of the events and routes, although SAS will not be present unless called on in an emergency. The Red Cross have a 4x4 vehicle which will be present, and the Coastguard are also providing a 4x4 to patrol the beach.

Malky, it would be good if you could pass me your wifes details, and when we speak with the Red Cross on the 15th we can discuss how best to incorporate her help, or if she'd like to suggest what she would like to do. Thanks to you and her.

In terms of route surfaces, the 10k is all tarmac, but you are right that there are different surfaces on the half marathon. All the half marathon-route is tarmac, except - (a) a 1k section from just beyond Clochkeil to the beach which is a combination of typical farm track made from packed hard-core stone, and grass; and (b) the beach, which should be firm and even to run on.

To mitigate any risk from these conditions, we will be briefing runners, and we will have marshalls & signs to help runners through the course. I don't consider any of the route to be unsuitable for running, though additional care will be required in some areas. Marshalls will be there to highlight to runners to be careful in any particular areas as required. For anyone interested, it might be worth taking a run out to Clochkeil and have a look at the section in question.

The half marathon route is - Esplanade/Main Street/Longrow/A83 to the Craigs Farm/left to Rhoin and Sound of Kintyre/Clochkeil/beach/turn and back/Clochkeil/Sound of Kintyre/Moss Road/Stewarton/Main Street/Esplanade.

Hope this information is helpful, and answers your questions.

Thanks
Tom
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:31 am

Thanks Tom

Sounds as though he is going to miss a great event. Not sure what type of weather runners like but hope it is favourable on the day

jeanette

Postby Malky » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:44 am

Tom Barbour wrote:Malky, it would be good if you could pass me your wifes details, and when we speak with the Red Cross on the 15th we can discuss how best to incorporate her help, or if she'd like to suggest what she would like to do. Thanks to you and her.

Tom, you got a PM :)
Actually, I forgot to say in the PM that I can help marshall. My contact details are in the PM :wink:

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tom B » Fri May 19, 2006 7:04 am

Any more potential marshals out there?! Still need quite a few more.....thanks
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Mull of Kintyre Half Marathon and 10k Run