shinty in Kintyre in 1800's

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

shinty in Kintyre in 1800's

Postby SARID » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:16 pm

I am throughly enjoying re-reading Angus Martin's "Kintyre Country Life " and was interested to read that the annual New Year shinty match at Carradale, played on the Bay in 1821, had to be abandoned because of a fight during the game.
At Crossaig the game in 1823 never even started because of fighting before the game began.
Thank goodness the game died out before murder was done
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: shinty in Kintyre in 1800's

Postby Mary G » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:01 pm

I think that the Southend New Year match did not quite escape that accolade ... cannot recall either whether anyone was successfully charged with murder, but it appears to have been more brutal than simply bruising :shock:

It was a bit of an international, too, with groups of players and spectators turning up from Ireland. A while since I read that account in Angus's book, but I think that it was last played in the early 1900's. Great reading.
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby SARID » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:19 pm

No-one was charged with the murder of John MacCoag, who died after being severely assaulted at the Southend New Year's Day shinty match in 1836.The suspects fled to Ireland before they could be charged ------ perhaps helped to flee by the Irish group who were over for the match .
In 1818 John Galbreath was assaulted at a shinty game in Tayinloan, and "his life was in danger " He survived.
It seems that many of the assaults were more to do with the settling of old scores, than issues with the game.
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Mary G » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:38 pm

Cheers SARID

Need to have another read of Angus's book - so much detail to take in - excellent quality!
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Local History and Discussion