Flashlights

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Flashlights

Postby SARID » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:05 pm

When I was a child in Carradale, before the village had electricity,a battery torch was essential, especially if you were going out in the dark.My Father always called the torch the "flashlight " The definition of "Flashlight " is "a light that flashes periodically " I wonder if flashlights were used to signal between fishing boats in the dark, before radio became the means of communication
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Flashlights

Postby Malky » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:47 am

SARID wrote:When I was a child in Carradale, before the village had electricity,a battery torch was essential, especially if you were going out in the dark.My Father always called the torch the "flashlight " The definition of "Flashlight " is "a light that flashes periodically " I wonder if flashlights were used to signal between fishing boats in the dark, before radio became the means of communication

I remember reading somewhere that flashlights were so called because the bulbs they used burnt out if they were on for too long, so they were just used for short "flashes" hence flashlight.
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bitter End » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:41 am

Torches were / are called ' flashlights ' in America ----have no idea why. Perhaps that is where they came from originally
Twice through the eye o' the sun to lift it.
Bitter End
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:54 am

I believe that the early batteries had a limited capacity so therefore could only be switched on or"flashed"for short periods.There is a forum called candlepower forums which explains this.(I really need to get out more). :)
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby four eyes » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:05 pm

SARID wrote:When I was a child in Carradale, before the village had electricity,a battery torch was essential, especially if you were going out in the dark.My Father always called the torch the "flashlight " The definition of "Flashlight " is "a light that flashes periodically " I wonder if flashlights were used to signal between fishing boats in the dark, before radio became the means of communication

they have electricity in the dale? wow
four eyes
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby SARID » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:21 pm

Everything that opens and shuts can be found in Carradale, Four Eyes !!! Electricity's the least of it!
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Local History and Discussion