Whiskey in Kintyre

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Whiskey in Kintyre

Postby RedhairedYank » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:43 pm

Hello all. I'm doing some research on whiskey for a local publication. Since I had the good fortune to live in Campbeltown (actually RAF Macrihanish) I've been tasked to identify current and past distilleries of the area. Any help would be appreciated. I know of Springbank, details of it would be welcome. In advance I thank you all.

Longing for the wee toon in Florida, John
John

"Do not consume if foil seal is not intact"
RedhairedYank
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: Whiskey in Kintyre

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:58 pm

RedhairedYank wrote:Hello all. I'm doing some research on whiskey for a local publication. Since I had the good fortune to live in Campbeltown (actually RAF Macrihanish) I've been tasked to identify current and past distilleries of the area. Any help would be appreciated. I know of Springbank, details of it would be welcome. In advance I thank you all.

Longing for the wee toon in Florida, John

Hi John,

Hopefully some members (or new members?) can help you with your enquiry.

I think there are currently 3 working distilleries in Campbeltown; Springbank, Kilkerren and Glen Scotia

http://www.springbankwhisky.com/ will give you some information about Springbank and Kilkerran and their other two brands Longrow and Hazelburn (I am sure Peter, Stuart or Ranald will correct me here but just trying to help :wink: 8) )

Surprisingly Glen Scotia doesn't have a website (or one that I can find) but they have certainly gave their building on High Street a nice fresh look having recently been painted!

There is lots of information on the net too including this wonderful article which details Campbeltown Distilleries - A - Z List - From 1817 Onwards.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/5998353/Campb ... 17-Onwards

Also a number of publications including this one; The Distilleries of Campbeltown: The Rise and Fall of the Whisky Capital of the World which can be bought at Amazon at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Distilleries-Ca ... 1903238846

I am sure if you need any up to date photos some of us on here can help out.

PS - It is spelt Whisky before you rattle the locals! :mrgreen: :D
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Whiskey in Kintyre

Postby EMDEE » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:31 am

The Distilleries of Campbeltown is an excellent book. :D
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Local History and Discussion