evacuees to Kintyre

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

evacuees to Kintyre

Postby Tom B » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:49 am

mum used to tell us about evacuees that came at the start of the war, and continued to come as friends & visitors for many years afterwards, including cycling down from glasgow every year, I think.

would be interested to hear any local stories, as the significance of what happened seems so much more now.

how many came, from where, how long did they stay for, who were they?
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: evacuees to Kintyre

Postby petewick » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:40 am

My mum was reared in Saddell and the Mortons at the "big hoose" had evacuees staying with them.
Mum was born about a year before the war started and the conflict was indigenous to people of her age, they did'nt
know it any other way.
One of her earliest memories is of playing on the beach at Saddell and one of the evacuees running towards them from the big house shouting that the war was over.
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tom B » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:23 pm

petewick wrote:One of her earliest memories is of playing on the beach at Saddell and one of the evacuees running towards them from the big house shouting that the war was over.

so they stayed the whole war? - I thought many headed back after days/weeks, after they realised there wasn't about to be a complete blitz of all our cities?
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby petewick » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:09 pm

Must have done Tom, maybe some of them lost their parents in the
bombings and stayed on in the country.
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jamiemcivor » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:28 pm

The Courier published the week after the war broke out mentioned the arrival of evacuees from Glasgow... and a few weeks later reported that many of them had gone home, as indeed happened in many places.

You can check out the old Couriers at Aqualibrium - I used to love doing that when I was a kid and even when I worked for the Courier and the old binders were still kept in the back office.
jamiemcivor
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby chuckiebay » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:18 pm

I know there were evacuees to Carradale. Any yarns? In another part of Scotland I know of two who met as evacuees from Glasgow, married and lived happily ever after(as far as I know).
chuckiebay
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Local History and Discussion