Archaeological Investigations - Southend

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Archaeological Investigations - Southend

Postby sooze » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:04 pm

The Southern Kintyre Project, started in 2005 by Dr Vicki Cummings (University of Central Lancashire) and Dr Gary Robinson (Bangor University) is investigating prehistoric links between Kintyre and Antrim.

At present they are working in Southend at Blasthill on excavating a Neolithic chambered tomb (Clyde Tomb) which is unique to Scotland.

They will be holding an Open Day on Sunday 12th July 10.00am - 4.00pm (Please take care as this is a working farm and parking is limited) and on Wednesday 15th July there will be a public lecture at the Argyll Arms - 8.00pm.

For further info please log onto the blog http://southernkintyreproject.blogspot.com/ or email kintyre@bangor.ac.uk

Sooze
sooze
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Archaeological Investigations - Southend

Postby petewick » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:06 pm

Met him a couple of weeks ago, wish I was down to go to that, would recommend it to anyone with an interest in this subject, looks great.
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby linda_j » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:54 pm

I would have loved to have went to this but im not coming down till 18th....
linda_j
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ship called Dignity » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:42 am

Anyone go along yesterday? Couldn't make it.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby sooze » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:05 pm

Yes I went with sister niece and mother in law and we had a personal tour round the site. Everyone got this in their own group or as an individual. On Friday some pottery was found that could possibly be the oldest piece found in Scotland (TBC) and you saw the outline of the cairn which spans around 2,000 years from neolithic to bronze age.

The rain started while we were up there and we got soaked on the way down but it was worth the trip.

Once all finds have been recorded and catalogued the reports will be completed in around a years time.

I also went along on the Friday (10th July) to MUneroy Tearoom where we were shown finds that had been made through field walking over the last 5 years and that was very interesting too.

There will be a talk in the Argyll in Southend on Wednesday 15th and I am going along to that as well.

Sooze
sooze
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Local History and Discussion