Famous Campbeltonians

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Famous Campbeltonians

Postby Nancie » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:05 am

Famous Campbeltonians, living or dead. Are there any?

Nancie
Nancie
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ninja Mania » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:44 am

Think it has to be my late Father,,,,,,, every time i got into bother,,,,folks wud shout i,ll tell yur fekkin fether on yeh, noo awa wae ye.
So i guess if that many folk knew him, it makes him sort oh famous does it not...... Cause i used to get into some amount oh bother when i was a lad,,,,I, and a tiny wee lad at that.
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby hoots the scoop » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:47 pm

I heard that famous US 7th Calvalry General, George Armstrong Custer was born in Broad St...family moved to US when he was a baby.

Of course he was famous for being an arrogant and unpleasant OAF who led his me into a trap set by the Sioux at the Little Big Horn which resulted in them, and him, being slaughtered.........
hoots the scoop
Active Poster
Active Poster

custer

Postby bubbly jock » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:13 pm

hoots the scoop wrote:I heard that famous US 7th Calvalry General, George Armstrong Custer was born in Broad St...family moved to US when he was a baby.........

I read somewhere that George Armstrong Custer, affectionately known to close family members as "Autie," was born on December 5, 1839 in a small but, comfortable farmhouse in New Rumley, Harrison County, Ohio.

..............but that's naw true I remember him and his gang in Broad Street His Granny Armstrong had a sweetie shop beside Patersons garage. She used tae sell chocolate guns and him and his gang would go on raids tae Park Square where they would be seen off by Davie Foster who had a real gun.

I mind wan time he nearly lost all the gang when the Parliament crowd surrounded them and they were only saved because the parlies were shouted in for their tea. I suppose he was practicing for the real thing at Little Big Horn.

Funny how you forget all those wee memories and then it all comes flying back tae you

bubbly
bubbly jock

Postby hoots the scoop » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:15 pm

Back to the thread -

James Gulliver

Next....
hoots the scoop
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Nancie » Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:17 pm

Bonnie Mary o' Argyll
Nancie
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby jimmyncathie » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:17 pm

Theres a plaque in a garden in Argyll Street to a Mr McKinnon. Very famous man.
jimmyncathie
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Nancie » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:25 pm

Sir William McKinnon - his statue stands in front of the new swimming pool.

Nancie

Another - William McTaggart - famous artist
Nancie
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby dgraves » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:05 pm

Hi Nancie,

I have looked up William McTaggart's work several times. He was a great artist.

Bonnie Mary o' Argyll, though, I've only found in a song. Would it be possible for you, or anyone posting, to add a line or two as to why these people were or are famous? I would appreciate it. Thanks- :D
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Johnny Mackinnon

Postby wendy 30 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:13 am

Johnny Mackinnon came from Campbeltown originally, he now plays keyboard for Kevin Montgomery & the Road Trippers from the USA, who are touring Scotland in December/January. There are two members of The Mavericks in the band - remember - the Dance The Night Away song ?
wendy 30
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Sir William MacKinnon

Postby Machrihanish » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:25 am

Here ye go...
Born at Campbeltown, Argyllshire, Mackinnon trained as a grocer, but went out to India where he eventually founded the British India Steam Navigation Company which developed a vast trade round the coasts of the Indian Ocean. This extended to the east coast of Africa, between Aden and Zanzibar, where Mackinnon established what was chartered in 1888 as the Imperial British East Africa Company; its objectives included the elimination of the slave trade, the prohibition of trade monopoly, and the equal treatment of all nations. Mackinnon promoted H. M. Stanley's expedition for the relief of Emin Pasha, and in 1891 founded the Free Church of Scotland East African Scottish Mission. He also founded the independent Keil School in Dumbarton. He was created a baronet in 1889. On his death (without issue) he was buried at Clachan, Argyllshire near his beloved house Balinakill
Machrihanish
Active Poster
Active Poster

William McTaggart

Postby Machrihanish » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:30 am

William McTaggart was born at Aros Farm, of the Moy road, you can find lots of info about him and his life here:
http://www.bonnyrigglasswadehistory.org ... aggart.htm
Machrihanish
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby dgraves » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:18 pm

Thank you for the historical background on MacKinnon, Cameron. It is very interesting reading. :D The site for William McTaggart is much better than the one I had found previously.
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Famous Campbeltonians

Postby Machrihanish » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:30 pm

Entirely welcome :)
Machrihanish
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: William McTaggart

Postby Pete Reek » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:32 pm

et
Last edited by Pete Reek on Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Reek

Next

Return to Local History and Discussion