Famous Campbeltonians

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:10 pm

Dunc, you might want to see the actual printed page of the book your url listed. It is on page 69 of Scottish Notes and Queries, Vol V 2nd Series in the section titled Notable Men and Women of Argyleshire - July 1903 to June 1904 digitalized by Google. The book looks interesting. I love browsing those types of books.

http://books.google.com/books?id=sk_bNc ... LnV5OafV8k
Last edited by Bobbie En Tejas on Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Thanks.

Postby Dunc » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:18 pm

Yes will have a look at that.Getting bleery eyed now been looking at old photos on another site all day...
Have a look at the Campbeltown Loch page from Russell some fab. photos on it now in last week Bobbie.Long before my day thou......

http://www.campbeltownloch.com/news.php

BCNU

Dunc
Only the truth has been changed
Dunc
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby general jack o'niell » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:14 pm

as they say, any publicity is good publicity so infamy? i'll settle for that, when was the last time you heard of an infamous nobody? never!!!! so to be infamous, you neeed to be known for the deed or deeds which made you infamous, by reason and a process of illimination and a sliding scale called "who are you? never heard of you, who am i? justice, you sons of bitches, thats who!!!!" i am therefor famous.

on a serious note, we lost one of the good guys yesterday

rest easy H
Last edited by general jack o'niell on Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
general jack o'niell

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:36 pm

Oh no, Jack.. I'm really sorry to hear that.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sweltered » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:43 pm

general jack o'niell wrote:as they say, any publicity is good publicity so infamy? i'll settle for that, when was the last time you heard of an infamous nobody? never!!!! so to be infamous, you neeed to be known for the deed or deeds which made you infamous, by reason and a process of illimination and a sliding scale called "who are you? never heard of you, who am i? justice, you sons of bitches, thats who!!!!" i am therefor famous.

on a serious note, we lost one of the good guys yesterday

rest easy H

:?:
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby £3.73 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:45 pm

general jack o'niell wrote:on a serious note, we lost one of the good guys yesterday

rest easy H

RIP Hinton
£3.73
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

RODNEY PATTISON

Postby DRUMLEMEN1 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:00 pm

Not many will know that a Campbeltown born person has won the Olympic Gold medal at the 1968, 1972 Games and a Silver at the 1976 Games.
"

© SCRAN
Born in Campbeltown, Argyll on 4th August 1943, Rodney Stuart Pattisson can justifiably claim to be Scotland's most successful sailor ever, winning two Olympic gold and one silver medal.

Having been educated at Pangbourne College, a school with strong nautical connections, before joining the Royal Navy, Pattisson's emergence as a world class sailor should not have come as too much of a surprise.

He teamed up with a London solicitor, Ian MacDonald Smith, and the two were selected to represent Great Britain in the 1968 Mexico City Olympics in the “Flying Dutchman“class - a 20 foot, 2 man yacht after winning the Olympic trials.

After winning the European Championships, their preparation was meticulous as they travelled out to Mexico two months ahead of the event in order to acclimatise to the local conditions on their boat “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious”, not surprisingly shortened to “Superdocious”.

The pair were almost unbeatable in the event in which they had to count their best six out of seven race scores.

Apart from one disqualification, which naturally they chose as their non-scouting score, they won five out of six races and claimed the gold medal with a score of only three penalty points, something which had never been achieved before in an Olympic regatta. That score secured a huge winning margin over the silver medallists, the West German duo of Ulrich Libor and Peter Naumann.

In winning the gold, Rod became the first Scot to win an Olympic gold in any sport for 12 years and was the first to win any type of sailing medal. Pattisson and MacDonald-Smith dominated in the World Championships too, winning the title in Naples in 1969 and again in Adelaide in 1970, before Pattison lifted the crown for a third consecutive year in 1971, this time partnered by Justin Brooke Houghton, when the event was held at La Rochelle.
DRUMLEMEN1
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby general jack o'niell » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:57 pm

never heard of him but he certainly should count as a famous son of the wee toon
general jack o'niell

Postby John A » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:19 pm

Davie p has already mentioned him but here is his own web-site.

http://www.lornecousin.com/index.html
John A
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby general jack o'niell » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:18 pm

done well for himself, had to edit the rest, it looked wrong in so many ways, waste of a good madonna joke tho
general jack o'niell

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:56 pm

In looking up different Campbeltowns of one spelling or another in the US, I came across some information about Phillip Armour and his family. Armour at some point merged with Dial and Armour-Dial is a huge company here in the US. Also, he founded the Armour institute of technology, which is now the Illinois Institute of Technology. Thought the Armours who are farmers would appreciate the bolded sentence.

Armour, Philip Danforth - (1832-1901) He built the largest meat packing company in the nation. He was born May 16, 1832, in Stockbridge, New York. The Armours for generations had lived in the area know as Argyllshire. The chief city being Campbelltown. The Armours arrived in the Colonies from Scotland during the middle of the eighteenth century before the American Revolution. Philip Armour was educated at Cazenovia Academy in New York and then worked on the family farm. He later set out across the country to participate in the gold fields of California. He moved from California to Wisconsin with a sizeable fortune and started a wholesale grocery business. In association with his brother, Herman, he became involved in grain commissions and meat packing plants. Out of these ventures came the firm of Armour and Company with headquarters in Chicago. It was destined to become the nation's largest meat packer with world-wide operations. He was an innovator of many of the modern livestock management techniques. He built low cost rental apartments for his workers and founded the Armour Institute of Technology which is now known as the Illinois Institute of Technology. It was said that, "He was one of the most generous supporters of the Scottish organization known as the Illinois Saint Andrew society." He died January 6, 1901, in Chicago. His son, J. Ogden Armour would carry on the benevolent ideals of the family.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Famous Campbeltonians

Postby Mary G » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:49 pm

While we are resurrecting old threads, I thought I would add Jan Nimmo – maybe not very famous (yet), but she deserves to be for her work for Banana Link in particular. http://www.bananalink.org.uk/ - a campaign that is seeking to bring about a fair and sustainable banana trade. Jan comes from the town, and I am sure that many forum members will know either her or her family.

She is a fabulous artist, and more recently she has also turned her creative hand to making films on matters about which she feels passionately. Currently she is making one about the Argyll Colliery at Machrihanish.

But here is a film she made on the working conditions and environment under which bananas are grown at a particular plant in Ecuador. It makes gripping viewing.
http://www.communitychannel.org/index.p ... Itemid=139

I defy anyone to buy a non fair-trade banana after watching this.
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re:

Postby Ags » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:04 pm

DOUBLE A wrote:Belle Robertson

Funny how you miss a topic completely until it is resurrected!! Well said Double A - a local legend and an absolute lady!!!!
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ags » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:22 pm

Apologies Mary G - didn't mean to take away from your post about Jan Nimmo! Jan has been in touch with some of my family re her filmabout the colliery and we look forward to seeing the end product! It looks fabulous. Think some of the kids locally saw her banana film...correct me if I am wrong. Machrihanish....thank you for your mention of WILLIE MITCHELL....wonderful songwriter and my grandfather! 'Road to Drumleman' never fails to bring a tear..... :(
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Machrihanish » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:37 am

Your welcome Ags, one of my mums favourite songs :)
Machrihanish
Active Poster
Active Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Local History and Discussion