Cambeltown Stories.

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Cambeltown Stories.

Postby lyntrevor » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:58 am

Hello Cambeltown,
In my research of Armour ancestors who immigrated from Cambeltown to Australia, including my Grandfather, I have made contact with my Grandfathers elderly nephew who passed on a story told to him by his father Neil Macmichael Armour who immigrated in 1912/13.
Neil said that in the past, Cambeltown had more distilleries than people. It was in fact, in the old days, a site of illicit grog making, with an excellent harbour, protected from the Atlantic Ocean. When the King's men came galloping down the peninsular, up would go the smoke signals, the lads would row out to a ship, lean on the rails and wait until the troops had recovered from the grog, smashed up the illegal distilleries and left. Then back they would row and it would all start over again.
Is there a fair bit of fact in that story? Any more interesting tales out there from the past?
lyntrevor
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Local History and Discussion