Roger Bannister at Carradale?

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Roger Bannister at Carradale?

Postby Ticketty Boo! » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:06 pm

I've heard from two sources that Roger Bannister trained on the beach at Carradale Bay before breaking the four minute mile in 1954.

Can anyone help to substantiate this or add to the story? Or is it all just a load of magumba?
Ye'll huv hud yer tea?
Ticketty Boo!
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Roger Bannister at Carradale?

Postby SARID » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:18 pm

I have a very hazy memory of hearing the same story,many years ago, of Roger Bannister training on Carradale Bay.
If correct, I think he was most likely a guest of the Mitchison family in Carradale House.
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ninja Mania » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:01 pm

Not going by this article.

1954: Bannister breaks four-minute mile
Roger Bannister, a 25-year-old British medical student, has become the first man to run a mile in less than four minutes.

His time was 3mins 59.4 seconds, achieved at the Iffley Road track in Oxford and watched by about 3,000 spectators.

Bannister, once president of the Oxford club, was running for the Amateur Athletic Association against his old university during their annual match.

The race was carefully planned and he was aided by two pacemakers, Chris Brasher and Chris Chataway.

Brasher took the lead as the first pacemaker, Bannister slotted in behind, with Chataway in third place.

When Brasher began to feel the strain, Bannister signalled for Chataway to take over.

Just over 200 yards from the finish, Bannister took the lead with a final burst of energy. He sprinted to the line in record time and fell exhausted into the arms of a friend, the Rev Nicholas Stacey.

Pandemonium broke out when spectators heard news that Bannister had officially beaten the four-minute mile.

He had prepared for the race the previous week at Paddington Green in London in high winds.

The weather at Iffley Road was not ideal for record-breaking - a 15mph crosswind with gusts of up to 25mph meant that Bannister nearly called off the attempt.

Bannister has beaten his main rival to the record - Australian athlete John Landy.

Both had run quite close to the time but the magic number four had proved elusive until now.
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby SARID » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:16 pm

I too read all about Roger Bannister this afternoon,-------- his training and successful record breaking attempt.
He could still have managed a few days "break " at Carradale (no better place) and kept up his running on the Big Bay,-----a mile of beautiful sand.
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ticketty Boo! » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:53 am

I'd think the best chance of confirming the story, would be a personal recollection from one of the elder statespersons of Trumptonia Sarid?

In all the years that I've been visiting the village (since early 70's) I think I'd have heard something about this before now if it were true?

It was the fact that the story came from two completely different sources that made me show interest.
Ye'll huv hud yer tea?
Ticketty Boo!
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby four eyes » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:31 am

he never passed me on the beach as i walked the dog,fairytale!
four eyes
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby SARID » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:07 pm

I am going to have a right go, at trying to think of someone in the village who is old enough to recall if Roger was ever in the village
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ticketty Boo! » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:31 pm

I now have it on quite good authority that he was a guest of Lady Mitcheson at Carradale House - and was not the only distinguished person she entertained. More info would be good though?
Ye'll huv hud yer tea?
Ticketty Boo!
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby SARID » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:27 pm

Naomi Mitchison and family used to entertain quite a few well known Labour Politicians in Carradale House,particularly during August and Sept. They used to sometimes help bringing in the harvest on the home farm. I have an idea who some of these Politicians were, but will confirm names with contemporaries with better memories than me.
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Sweltered » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:26 pm

:?:
Last edited by Sweltered on Tue May 12, 2009 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby four eyes » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:36 pm

nee nee"s the man for an answer on this one. :shock:
four eyes
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ags » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:13 pm

:lol: You are probably absolutely right four eyes! Having spent a couple of hours in Neenies company this afternoon it reminded me that he has an amazing capacity for dates and real names of people!
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby four eyes » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:28 am

yup! he aint as green as he"s cabbage looking. His memory is outstanding. every time i talk to him he brings a little ray of sunshine into my life.Just dont get him started on football. :D
four eyes
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Local History and Discussion