A photographic book of 20th Century Southend- Can you help?

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

A photographic book of 20th Century Southend- Can you help?

Postby bythesea21 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:11 pm

Southend on the Mull of Kintyre – Reunited

Halsgrove Publishers have agreed that Avril Stone, who has published community history books for them in the past, produce a book of 20th century Southend.
This book will be a photographic snapshot of people’s lives in this parish from early 1900’s up to present day.
This will be a community based book which can only produced with the help of the people currently living in Southend or whose families once resided here or even those who spent their holidays here.

We need photographs of:-

Farming and School events (both Southend and Glenbreckerie)
Weather e.g. the great snow of 1946/7 and 1963/4
Caravan and Camping holidays, golfing, Highland Games
Events associated with the two Churches e.g. Conventicles and St. Columba’s Pagent
Coastguards, Lighthouse Keepers, the Lifeboat, shipwrecks
The Keil School, The Keil Hotel
War-Time
Events in the Village Hall, Dunaverty Players
The Argyll Arms, Muneroy Tearoom
Carskiey House, Macharioch House, Watermill

Are there any photographs of doctors, ministers, blacksmiths, shopkeepers or any other trades-people at work in Southend?

We will need the names of as many people as possible in each photograph and it would make the picture more interesting to have a few words about the occasion.
All photographs will be scanned and returned immediately.
The book will be ready for Christmas 2009 and our deadline is the 1st May 2009.

If you or your family are interested in taking part in the production of this book please contact:- Avril Stone on
Tel. No. 01586 830328 or email: avrilpamastone@googlemail.com

If you would like to know more about this project Avril will be having several meetings in the village which will be advertised locally or you can contact Avril on the above telephone number and she will be happy to come and visit you.
Last edited by bythesea21 on Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bythesea21
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: A photographic book of 20th Century Southend- Can you help?

Postby History » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:55 pm

That sounds really interesting bythesea. When you say Southend does that include the surrounding areas or are you concentrating on the village itself? Not sure how far the parish extends but I believe that the war memorial at Keprigan is the heart of the parish.

I'm sure the Scottish Women's Rural members past and present would also be a good source of info.

Good luck to all involved. Look forward to reading it.
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby bythesea21 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:14 pm

Thank-you for your good wishes. The book will encompass the whole of Southend Parish. Avril will be tapping into the knowlege and photographic albums of everyone who will want to join in this project including the Scottish Women's Rural who I agree will have a fountain of information.
Watch out for the information leaflet on how to purchase the book.

History wrote:That sounds really interesting bythesea. When you say Southend does that include the surrounding areas or are you concentrating on the village itself? Not sure how far the parish extends but I believe that the war memorial at Keprigan is the heart of the parish.

I'm sure the Scottish Women's Rural members past and present would also be a good source of info.

Good luck to all involved. Look forward to reading it.
bythesea21
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby maganru » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:19 pm

I know my Mum has a huge number of photographs which may be of interest to you. Please email me for her details.
mos
maganru
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Mary G » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:42 pm

maganru wrote:I know my Mum has a huge number of photographs which may be of interest to you. Please email me for her details.

... but one of her other daughters may have taken them to scan / digitise and label ... ;-)
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby bythesea21 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:21 pm

Dear Mary G
Thankyou for your message. Avril would be very interested to see your mother's photo's of Southend. Please contact her on the telephone number or email address on the Forum's notice about the book.

Mary G wrote:
maganru wrote:I know my Mum has a huge number of photographs which may be of interest to you. Please email me for her details.

... but one of her other daughters may have taken them to scan / digitise and label ... ;-)
bythesea21
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Return to Local History and Discussion