An Historic Newspaper cutting from 1929

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

An Historic Newspaper cutting from 1929

Postby cgms310 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:30 pm

While researching some history on Kintyre residents who emigrated to Ontario, Canada I came across this "gem" which I though some of you might enjoy.

Pioneers Settled in Dunwich in 1848
Sleep in Old Church Yard at Largie

A reunion of interest to many in Dunwich is being held today at Springbank in honor of Mrs. Jane McArthur McVannel and part of her family who settled in North Dunwich in 1848. The following historical sketch is contributed by a descendant residing at “Lem-na-muich Farm”, Kintyre, Scotland:

After the death of her husband, Duncan McVannel in Kintyre, Scotland, Jane McArthur McVannel came with her three sons, John, Peter and Archie, and granddaughter, Agnes Watson, to Canada, to make a home in the new land.

Hector, another son; Jean (Mrs. Peter Hyndman), and Nancy (Mrs. Donald McCallum), two daughters, had settled in Ontario, Canada some time previous and two daughters, Mary (Mrs. Watson),and Margaret (Mrs. McFarlane) remained in Scotland.

The McVannels landed at York, now Toronto, in June 1848 and from there came to Col. Talbot’s settlement along the shores of Lake Erie, purchasing four hundred acres of land in the fourth concession of the township of Dunwich, Elgin County.

The land, being then a dense forest, they had to cut down the trees to clear a place for their home, which was built of logs, hewn from the trees.

Mrs. McVannel’s sturdy frame helped her through many dangers and difficulties, which befell the new settlers and often she was seen wending her way to the auld kirk many miles distant on horseback.

In 1856, after eight years of pioneer life, she passed away, and was laid to rest in the auld kirk-yard at Largie, on the old Currie road in Dunwich.

The stalwart qualities, undaunted courage and Christian faith of Mrs. McVannel, was manifested in her children, giving them strength to endure privations and hardships which we know little of, and enabling them to lay so well the foundation of the rich heritage their descendants now enjoy in this fair land.

After the mother’s death, John, Peter and Archie remained on the homestead. Hector, his wife (who was Miss McAllister),and two children, Mary and Duncan, first settled in King, afterwards removing to Erin township, Wellington county. In 1872 he and his family moved to Elderslie township, where he passed away at the home of his son, Hector, in 1879. Jane (Mrs. Hyndman), her husband and four children, Christena, Duncan, James and Mary Jane, also settled in Erin. Mrs. Hyndman passed away at her old home in Erin in 1912, being the last of the direct descendants. Nancy (Mrs. McCallum), and her husband, moved from King to Dunwich, where she passed away in the early ‘80's. Agnes Watson, the granddaughter, married Alexander Thomson and was living in Dunwich.

In 1863, Archie married Mary McMillan, of Kintyre, Ontario. Five years later John died, unmarried, and in 1891, Peter, too, passed away unmarried at the age of 81.

Archie and his wife lived on the old home until 1904 when they moved to Cass City, Michigan to live with their daughter Jane. Archie died in 1906 at the age of 91.

Mrs. McVannel’s sons and daughter have all passed away, and at present but fourteen grandchildren survive, but the other descendants, numbering about five hundred, are scattered to almost all parts of the world, many filling important and trusted positions in nearly every walk of life.

Two more of the grandchildren had also settled in Canada, Jean Watson (Mrs. Robert Barr), mother of the famous novelist (Luke Sharp), coming with her husband and small family in the early fifties, settling first in Elgin and Kent counties, but latterly in Windsor, Ontario; also William Watson, a brother, who came out in 1872, settling for a few years in Dunwich, but afterwards moving to Aldborough township, where he still resides.

Many interesting stories could be told of the experiences of these ancestors, in making a home in the new land, if space would permit.

The surviving grandchildren are: William Watson, Sr., Rodney, Ont.; Jean and Archie McFarlane, Greenock, Scotland; James Hyndman of Hillsburg, Ontario; Alex. Hyndman “Leaside Cottage” Guelph, Ontario; Archie Hyndman, Seattle, Washington; Peter Hyndman in Montana, USA; Mrs. Catherine Hyndman, Muirhead, Todmorden, Ont; Peter D. McCallum, Dutton, Ont; William McCallum, Newmarket, Ont; Mrs. Jane McVannel Leitch, Pontiac, Mich.; Mrs. Nancy McVannel Sloan, Madoc, Montana; Mrs. Mary McVannel Templeton, Rodney, Ont; Peter McVannel, Austin, Manitoba.

A permanent association of the descendants of the clan has been organized to annually honor the memory of the undaunted woman, Mrs. Jane McVannell, and her family. Mrs. Watson, Rodney, is president this year and Miss Bessie Thomson, Hillsburg, secretary.“

----------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: An Historic Newspaper cutting from 1929

Postby Willianways » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:35 pm

I have just found this message and relaise that the family occupied a similar area of Dunwich as the McKinven/Love family and the account of the dangers faced is very similar. I will email Joy Love to see if she has picked up the link.
Very interesting. Thank you for posting the details.
Fiona
Willianways
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby christine_kerr » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:00 pm

I was delighted to find your historic news article regarding Jean known as Jane McVannel. I have just been doing some family digging and am decended from Jane's oldest daugher Mary who was born in Skipness in 1801. Our line did not make the trip to Canada and my own particular branch is very much still based in Scotland.

Christine
christine_kerr
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby antishai » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:36 am

keep up the good work Great work.

Daily Intekhab
antishai
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby 2esme » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:56 am

christine_kerr wrote:I was delighted to find your historic news article regarding Jean known as Jane McVannel. I have just been doing some family digging and am decended from Jane's oldest daugher Mary who was born in Skipness in 1801. Our line did not make the trip to Canada and my own particular branch is very much still based in Scotland.

Christine

I've been researching the McVannel Family of John McVannel and Janet Gillies that settled first in King Township, York, (Toronto), Ontario, Canada, and then moved to farm as tenants on Concession 3, Lot 30, Sarawak, Georgian Bluffs, Grey County, Ontario, Canada in 1862. I've found direct descendants of John McVannel living in Bruce County, Ontario, and now I'm trying to get information on the McVannels that lived and farmed on the Loup Estate. Peter McVannel (1769-1815) and his wife Mary McCallum is as far back as i have gone, but there has to be more.

The Government of Canada provided funding to erect a historical plaque where John McVannel and his family farmed in the 1860's in Sarawak, Concession 3, Lot 30, the land is currently part of the 600 acre Cobble Beach Golf Resort Property.
If anyone can help with information it would be Greatly Appreciated.
Marc
2esme
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Local History and Discussion