MAUCHLINE from PULPIT WOOD LONGROW KIRK

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

MAUCHLINE from PULPIT WOOD LONGROW KIRK

Postby bill » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:57 pm

An article for sale on e-bay made of wood from the old Longrow Kirk opened in 1767.

The present Longrow Church(Lorne and Lowland)was built 1872.

No doubt someone will have information on the location of the 1767 church,unless ofcourse it was on the site of the present building.
MAUCHLINE from PULPIT WOOD LONGROW KIRK CAMPBELTOWN

View of Long Row Kirk, Campbeltown

Inscribed,
" MADE FROM THE PULPIT WOOD OF OLD LONGROW KIRK CAMPBELTOWN OPENED 1767"

Also inscribed,
" OH LO'E ME AYE AND LO'E ME WEEL
I'LL OFTEN BRING TAE MIND
THE AULD, AULD KIRK THATS NOO AWA
AND MONY A MAIGT FORGOTTEN FRIEN
O' AULD LANG SYNE"

Over to you History.....................
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: MAUCHLINE from PULPIT WOOD LONGROW KIRK

Postby History » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:03 pm

Mauchline ware is collectable but not too pricey for anyone wishing to collect a few pieces. The items are always wooden with pictures of different locations throughout Scotland. I have a small container that holds a tiny whisky glass. I think it is Burns Cottage that is on it? Might put it on ebay :D

Not sure about the one you have highlighted but it looks like a thimble case??. I have seen them in the shape of eggs.

According to the Campbeltown book during the 1760's the "established church was riven by a controversy over the right of a congregation to choose its own pastor" To gain "relief" from the oppresion of having ministers forced on them many members left congregations to establish their own places of worship.

The new church in Longrow was known as the relief church and was built from stone carried over from Davaar Island on linen slings by women. The use of horses and carts being prohibited because the Duke of Argyll was offended by the disowning of his patronage and he refused the use of the town quarry. The building was in use until 1872 when it was replaced by the present building.

When Castlehill church closed its doors the congregation joined the Longrow Church and it was then know as the Lowland Church and when the LorneStreet church (The Tartan Kirk) closed and its congregation were unified it bacame The Lorne and Lowland.

I can't find any info on why it was replaced in the 1870's. It had stood for more than a hundred years prior to that.?

History
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: MAUCHLINE from PULPIT WOOD LONGROW KIRK

Postby EMDEE » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:19 am

Just as an aside, I have heard that the stone for the War Memorial came from Davaar Island as well. Is this correct?
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Local History and Discussion