Bowies in Campbeltown 1920to 1930

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Bowies in Campbeltown 1920to 1930

Postby elizabeth13087 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:00 am

Hi folks i am hoping somone reading this will find this familiar. My father an aunt remember visiting relatives in Campbeltown, probably Glasgow Fair week, during their childhood. They travelled by Clyde steamer, doon the water, landing at the peir and it was a short walk to the house where they stayed. There was a lady and some children older than my aunt in the house. I am guessing this family was either called Bowie or the mother was a Bowie.

My grandmothers maiden name was Jane McMillan Bowie, born in Glasgow, but the Bowie s originated in Campbeltown, (Ballergie Lairgiemore and Drumlemble back in the early 1700s)
Jane married Robert Thomson and the children were Sam Thomson b 1917 , and Annie Thomson b about 1920 They were probably visiting in late 1920 or early 1930s.
Also Sam remebered that an elderly aunt used to go to Macrihanish every year for her holiday. The photo i remember seeing was of a lady 50 plus years old.

I guess it is too much to hope that those children who my dad stayed with might still be alive?
Any Bowies descended from Drumlemble or Lairgiemore roots please get in touch.

best wishes
Elizabeth
elizabeth13087
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Bowies in Campbeltown 1920to 1930

Postby Widz » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:58 pm

Thats my lot. You probably know more about he family tree side than I do. My father in law's from Campbeltown and assures me there's no Bowies left...but theres still a few McMillans. My Bowies left Campbeltown and moved to Coatbridge in lanarkshire.

The line , going back wards is:
James Bowie (Bargeddie)
James Bowie (Gartgill)
Andrew Bowie - married to Jane McMillan from Drumlemble (a plowman in Campbeltown then moved to Lanarkshire)
Archibald Bowie - Married to Catherine Stewart
Lachlan Bowie - Married to Margaret Kelly

Feel free to get in touch
Tomstewartwoods@gmail.com
Widz
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Local History and Discussion