Argyll Colliery Film - Images Wanted

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Argyll Colliery Film - Images Wanted

Postby nimps » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:21 am

Hi
For the last year and a half I have been gathering testimonies etc to make a film about the Argyll Colliery, Machrihanish (1946 -1966) and am now getting on with the long and slow process of editing 20 odd hours of interviews. I have some archive footage but I am also looking for any photos that might relate to the mine, mining families, gala days, miners' parades and general family life around that time so any images of Campbeltown from the 50's and early 60's would be great. As I continue my edit I can be more specific about the images that I need but would be grateful if anyone who has anything they think may be relevant can contact me and e-mail me images. Alas the project is essentially unfunded and a labour of love so I can't pay for the images but anyone submitting photos for use will be fully credited in the tiles of the film, "The Road to Drumlemen".

Thanks in advance

Jan Nimmo
nimps
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: Argyll Colliery Film - Images Wanted

Postby History » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:51 am

Hi Jan

There are a number of books with pictures of the area and I believe there may be photo's of the colliery and some of the people who worked there. You could also look on http://www.campbeltownloch.com/news.php and ask the admin on there about any photo's that would be of use to your project.

history
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jdcarra » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:01 pm

I believe there are also some photos or copies of the Argyll Colliery in the Campbeltown Heritage centre.
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby chattichatton » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:19 pm

My dad has a photo of him and his younger brother when they were about 5 or 6 with a group of miners, no sure if you have seen it as it appeared in the courier a while ago. My grandfather worked in the offices of the mine
chattichatton
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby EMDEE » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:06 pm

What is the purpose of the film nimps? Would it be available in DVD form for purchase, even locally? I'm sure there would be a lot of interest in the area. My own grandfather was a miner there for many years until his retiral in the late 1950s, and I also had an uncle who worked there until it closed down in 1967.

As you are no doubt aware, there is a chapter in the Campbeltown Book devoted to Coal Mining in Kintyre, written by Nigel MacMillan, and another section by George McMillan about his personal experience as a miner. There's probably a lot more material available that would make an interesting book in its own right. :D
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby nimps » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:37 pm

Thanks for all your replies.

The purpose of the film is to tell the story of the mine through the surviving ex-miners - their stories - their words. I know that George McMillan has done a lot to keep the stories of the mine alive and he has been very helpful to me and is one of the contributors - as have many ex- miners. My dad, Neil Nimmo, his twin brother, Ramsay, my grandfather and my great uncles where all miners. I had hoped to work with my dad but he died 18 months ago and Ramsay died 6 months later so really although the film is not directly about them it will be dedicated to their memory - but essentially the film is intended to give credit to the people who worked there and to mark their contribution to the community.
It will be finished in the new year - hopefully before - and will be available on DVD. I hope to premiere the film in Campbeltown so will post details nearer the time.
It's difficult editing just now as I have a lot of interview material (how to get 20 hours down to 40mins?) and no doubt I will have missed somebody out but as it's a voluntary project I have to draw a line sometime - so far it's been a year and a half off and on!!!

Any any photos and info will gratefully received and will, as I say, be credited.
nimps
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:56 pm

Excellent project nimps. 8) My grandfather on my mother's side moved here from the dark lands of Lanarkshire :wink: (Forth to be precise) to work at the Colliery. I've never thought about it much but certainly would be interested in it. Must ask my family more about it and see if there are any photos flying around.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby nimps » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:43 am

Any photos you unearth would be great - an e-mailed scan is best as I prefer not to borrow photos just in case anything happens to them - I know how precious family photos can be! If you do find any let me have your name so that you are added to list of acknowledgments.
TA
nimps
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Return to Local History and Discussion