The Changing Face of Campbeltown

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Re: The Changing Face of Campbeltown

Postby hugh » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:41 am

It's been puzzling me too, Emdee. I googled "Highlander Bar", and that seems to have been a fairly common pub name frequently used without the introductory "The" which would suit that particular theory. I ventured a guess at "Rest" because there must surely only be enough space left for a short-ish word, given the size of the lettering and the likely length of the building? But "Bar" seems much more likey. This is assuming it is a pub, I mean, what are the chances of a commercial building in Campbeltown being a pub?

Surely it must appear on some documentation somewhere, or is that just being naive?
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby ionnsaigh » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:46 am

hugh, I puzzled over the length of the building also - however HIGHLANDER only takes up two windows.
A love this. :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:54 pm

From the Historic Kintyre website there is a picture of an old painting by Archibald MacKinnon of a Campbeltown street market. The whole building is shown, and it looks as if the other side of the ground floor is a separate establishment. Is it possible that the "Highlander" is, in fact a pub, and what we have in these old photos is the whole frontage?

http://www.campbeltownloch.com/photogal ... oto_id=328
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:28 am

Anyone recall where Smiths Land was? Someone mentioned it the other day.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:38 am

EMDEE wrote:From the Historic Kintyre website there is a picture of an old painting by Archibald MacKinnon of a Campbeltown street market. The whole building is shown, and it looks as if the other side of the ground floor is a separate establishment. Is it possible that the "Highlander" is, in fact a pub, and what we have in these old photos is the whole frontage?

Notice the bearded man, with a young girl beside him - both looking down from the heavens - she is rubbing a tear away. :lol:
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:52 am

ionnsaigh wrote:
EMDEE wrote:From the Historic Kintyre website there is a picture of an old painting by Archibald MacKinnon of a Campbeltown street market. The whole building is shown, and it looks as if the other side of the ground floor is a separate establishment. Is it possible that the "Highlander" is, in fact a pub, and what we have in these old photos is the whole frontage?

Notice the bearded man, with a young girl beside him - both looking down from the heavens - she is rubbing a tear away. :lol:

Just spotted them now. Above the Town Hall?

I take it this is the same Archibald MacKinnon who did the Davaar Island cave painting?

:idea: Maybe the Main Street could be closed and the Farmers Market held there. That would maybe give a bit of trade to the shops in Main Street. Everybody seems to be having a great time in the old painting! :D
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:15 am

No not those ones - the other ones to the left.
Its a great painting - I love to see people hinging oot the windaes. Reminds me of the music festival of two years back. :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby lochend » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:44 pm

Echoes of Bills post . Kinloch Place, an old gas lit tenement overlooking the green on Kinloch road, where I spent all my childhood holidays visiting my aunt Margaret McCallum, who later moved to 7 Lochend st.Waiting for the milkman's whistle in the morning and fighting with my sister for the chance to rush down to get the milk and admire his horse.Sitting in the window watching the Steamer arrive, one of the best vantage points in the toon, each afternoon. Wistfully realising that it would be taking us away back towards England in a few days time.Shoals of Mackeral in the harbour,"glessyins" swimming under the old pier.Fishing boats moored three deep on both sides of the pier.Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby gizmo » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:23 am

Nostalgia is a thing of the past.
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby sib » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:56 pm

I am trying to find info on Mill Cottage that used to stand on the corner of Mill Street and Millknowe. There was a bus stop on the pavement--much used before there were so many cars around. I am writing about the 1950s. It was demolished to build new houses in the late 1950s.

There was a Mill there in the 1800s and the miller lived in the cottage. The Mill dam across the road is now a retail park or housing. there is a photo in "Down Memory Lane ". Can anyone fill in some history of when it was built or where to find info. In the valuation rolls of 1895 a miller lived there and I can't make out the name-looks like Renario and a Mr Alexander Kelly lived there in the early 1900s who was a potato merchant.
I wonder are there any photos in someone's collection.
sib
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Previous

Return to Local History and Discussion