High Park (Gaelic name?)

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

High Park (Gaelic name?)

Postby cgms310 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:16 pm

I am hoping that someone may know of another name or perhaps Gaelic name for High Park?

Low Park is (as we know) known as Skeroblinraid, but for some strange reason, I cannot find any exact reference to High Park in the "List of Inhabitants upon the Duke of Argyle's Property in Kintyre in 1792".

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: High Park (Gaelic name?)

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:37 pm

My mother was born in High Park. I'll email home and ask if she knows of another name.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby cgms310 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:27 am

I have sent you a PM with my details. I look forward to hearing from you!

Regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby cgms310 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:22 pm

Well it only took me five months, but I finally discovered today that Skeroblinraid is/was in fact TWO farms. High Park and Low Park. The division between them was a small stream. There is also a lake on the property in which one of Andrew Stewart and Barbara McVicars boys drowned in many years ago. When I come over in August (God willing), I will finally get to see all this with my own eyes!

Regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Skeroblinraid More Questions!

Postby cgms310 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:15 pm

I am looking at the old Kintyre records and I see a pattern with certain farm and regional names and I was wondering if there is anyone on the forum who may have some knowledge of the following:

The Earls of Argyll were made justiciars in Kintyre in 1506, but it was only in 1576 that lands which belonged to the monastery of Iona ( Icolmkill) were granted to the family by the Bishop of the Isles which included lands in Skeirchenzie (was that the original name for Kilchenzie parish) which included Skeirblaan ( Is this Skerblinraid?).
This is from HMC 4th report pg 476. There is more on the parish in Origines Parochiales Scotiae vol 2 pg 20.

Skeirchenzie contained a 40 mark land belonging to the monks of Iona, including the 3 markland at Skeirblaan. The use here of the name Skeirchenzie I "believe" explains the origins of Skerblinrad.

The church was dedicated to St Kenneth/ Kenny and Skeirkenzie has to relate to this.

In 1609 Archibald the 7th Earl was charged with planting a new burgh in Kintyre, the future Campbeltown, not for religious, but for commercial reasons ( HMC 4th report pg 475). He was to populate it with lowland men and burgesses. I believe this explains how my family possibly came to Kintyre.

In Highland Papers vol 3 there is a list of significant tenants in Kintyre in 1596 and 1605. There were two Stewarts here at the time, Christian and Ninian, but I cannot seem to link these men with my ancestors, and they were not shown at Skeroblinraid but there were shown at Glak (which could be Balanaglak?).

In 1609 one of the burgesses of Glasgow was James Stewart, the younger brother of John Stewart laird of Halrig and Rais ( d 1609). I think it likely that he or one of his sons came to Kintyre.

Any thoughts or help out there?????

Regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Local History and Discussion