OLD KILKERRAN CEMETERY RECORDS

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

OLD KILKERRAN CEMETERY RECORDS

Postby UP THE ROAD » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:15 pm

Hi,

I was just wondering who holds the records for the people who died in the Poor House or Witchburn who were buried by the state-- The Ralston genealogy cemetery website is fantastic but I am thinking more of the old Part of Kilkerran Cemetery where there were obviously a community paupers section and therefore doesn't show up on his website.
Any help regarding this would be great-- I know I can get death certificates on the Scots people website but am more interested in the location of the graves-- was sad to see that the Council has not kept up the maintenance of the old cemetery and is closed to the public as it is a hotspot for general and historical genealogy research and used to love strolling around the old part as found it very interesting.
UP THE ROAD
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Re: OLD KILKERRAN CEMETERY RECORDS

Postby History » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:30 pm

A few years ago a temporary job was created to employ a young person to go round the old cemetery and document the stones. Not sure the success of the project but possibly records are held on the results somewhere. Maybe Kilmory? I spoke to the person one of the days she was there and she didn't look entirely enthusiastic. Don't think I blame her 'cause it was raining and a bit early to be prowling round a graveyard even if you are getting paid.

A dream job for some of us I'm sure. Wish they had asked me :cry: I'd have done it for nothing.
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby UP THE ROAD » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:49 pm

Hi,
Well I suppose it wasn't really a job for a young lassie lol.
The records and the people I am interested in did not have gravestones as they were too poor and had to be buried in paupers graves - that is why when tracing my ancestors back over 60 years ago to the old cemetery there are no signs of them on the Ralston Website--
I will e-mail Kilmory--Thank you for your quick response to my Post and for your Help. I would put a Smiley on the page but don't seem to have any.
UP THE ROAD
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby gizmo » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:26 pm

just as a matter of interest am I right in thinking that the paupers section is just inside the gates to the left with no markers
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby EMDEE » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:03 am

Is there any prospect of the old part of Kilkerran being maintained and opened up again to the public? Let's not forget that it is the public who own this place.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby UP THE ROAD » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:19 am

gizmo wrote:just as a matter of interest am I right in thinking that the paupers section is just inside the gates to the left with no markers

I don't know if that is the case. we were always told that it was near where the Old Willow Tree -which grew in the old cemetery (think that is gone now) leaning against the Kilkerran Road wall, but you may be right. It would be interesting if any historians in the town or even the undertaker knows more about this.
UP THE ROAD
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby UP THE ROAD » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:22 am

EMDEE wrote:Is there any prospect of the old part of Kilkerran being maintained and opened up again to the public? Let's not forget that it is the public who own this place.

It would be great if it did= maybe someone in the town could find out as it was a really really interesting part of the cemetery.
UP THE ROAD
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby JAACRAIG » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:01 pm

Hi

The late forum member Dunc (Duncan McArthur) gave me this link, it is maybe the same site you are talking about?

http://groups.msn.com/kintyre/kintyregraveyards.msnw

For those who have not seen it.

Kenny
JAACRAIG
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby UP THE ROAD » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:16 pm

I have already checked out the Ralston Kilkerran Cemetery website and although it is fantastic does not record everything- I am looking for relatives who were buried in the old part but do not feature on that website-- example 1949 and earlier- buried but no record of them that I can find
UP THE ROAD
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby FlyingDragon » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:13 pm

I have already checked out the Ralston Kilkerran Cemetery website and although it is fantastic does not record everything- I am looking for relatives who were buried in the old part but do not feature on that website-- example 1949 and earlier- buried but no record of them that I can find

I was reading the posts concerning Kilkerran Cemetaryand thought that the book by Angus Martin "An Historical and Genealogical Tour of Kilkerran Graveyard" would be an interesting read. In the back of the book is a map that indicates approximate locations of gravestones mentioned in the book. Angus does an amazing job detailing the family names and occupations and a little of each persons life story.
Hopes of new energies deleted Manna, the City on a Hill in trade for a jackals till. Coal, Steam, then oil wells become still, evolving into that nuclear atoms death knells mill.
FlyingDragon
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby UP THE ROAD » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:47 pm

FlyingDragon wrote:

I was reading the posts concerning Kilkerran Cemetaryand thought that the book by Angus Martin "An Historical and Genealogical Tour of Kilkerran Graveyard" would be an interesting read. In the back of the book is a map that indicates approximate locations of gravestones mentioned in the book. Angus does an amazing job detailing the family names and occupations and a little of each persons life story.

Yes I bought that book and it was great but seems to concentrate on certain families some of whom were quite wealthy or made a special contribution to the town's history - Joe Bloggs doesn't seem to be in it and the Ralston website doesn't have any facts concerning people who died in the poorhouse and were buried in Paupers graves that is why I was trying to find out who holds the records for these people.
UP THE ROAD
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Return to Local History and Discussion