Saddell

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Saddell

Postby SARID » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:48 pm

I wrote recently about the Wishing Well at Saddell, and for Petewick I have this
message---I am very sure your Mother never had extra pennies in her pocket
after my family visited the well.Our family tradition was to drink a wee handful of water,
and then make a wish!
Lachie Galbraith was the Ferryman at Saddell. In the days before the second world war
the steamer called in, on the way to and from Campbeltown.Lachie's job was to row
passengers and goods ashore.
A few years ago his Granddaughter told me that Lachie built his house on the shore with
stone he salvaged from a ruin on the Whitestone side of the Pluck. He most likely
transferred the stone by boat. The house is now owned by "Landmark " and available
for rent. It's in an idyllic spot
Donald,Lachie's son had a good line in Ghost stories, all to do with the Avenue and the
Castle. My daughter remembers well his tale of meeting a headless ghost on his way home
one night
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Saddell

Postby Mary G » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:12 pm

Need to get that stutter cured again, SARID ;-)

Good story ... think I have hear the one about the headless ghost too!
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Saddell Castle

Postby chuckiebay » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:02 pm

I've heard that long ago in the twenties in the days o' Saddel Jack there were wild and good dances held in the castle The young ones came from far an near for the carry on. At ma fathers funeral "tea" an old wife with a twinkle in her eye reminisced about his great skill on the dance floor, his speciality being the Valletta Waltz. The lassies were all hoping they would be chosen for that dance. It was the best compliment paid to him that day

Who was Saddel Jack and was it he who organised these dances and how did they all get there? There wouldn't be many cars around at that time.
chuckiebay
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Saddell Jack

Postby SARID » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:13 pm

Over the last few weeks I have been trying to find out more about "Saddell Jack" with no great success.
I know he was a sociable batchelor who lived with his Mother in Saddell House,and his surname was
" Macleod Campbell". I've looked through the list of folk buried in the Cemetary in Saddell, but found
none of that surname.
His Mother used to run a Sunday School for the Saddell children.The homes of non-attenders were visited
by her on Monday morning, and the excuse had to be good!! It sounds as though Jack and his Mother had
little in common-----She was religious,and he was more into the dancing and drinking.
I have also discovered that the ruined house on the North side of the Pluck, where Lachie Galbraith,the
ferryman,got the stone for his house,was once the home of a family called Morrison.Lachie apparently built
a wee "railway" to convey the stones down to his boat, before rowing round to his site at the Port.
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Saddell Jack

Postby petewick » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:06 pm

SARID wrote:Over the last few weeks I have been trying to find out more about "Saddell Jack" with no great success.
I know he was a sociable batchelor who lived with his Mother in Saddell House,and his surname was
" Macleod Campbell". I've looked through the list of folk buried in the Cemetary in Saddell, but found
none of that surname.
His Mother used to run a Sunday School for the Saddell children.The homes of non-attenders were visited
by her on Monday morning, and the excuse had to be good!! It sounds as though Jack and his Mother had
little in common-----She was religious,and he was more into the dancing and drinking.
I have also discovered that the ruined house on the North side of the Pluck, where Lachie Galbraith,the
ferryman,got the stone for his house,was once the home of a family called Morrison.Lachie apparently built
a wee "railway" to convey the stones down to his boat, before rowing round to his site at the Port.

That bay is known as Morrisons bay by fishermen.
The last Morrisons to live in that area was 2 brothers and their sister, they lived at Port na Gael just south of the Pluck, now owned by the Landmark Trust, the last to pass away was the sister Madge, they are all buried in Saddell graveyard.
They were cousins of my paternal grandfather and descended from the Morrisons of the bay further up.
By strange coincidence, my mother who was reared in Saddell knew Madge and her brothers, Dugald and Daniel?, Madge was the cook for the Mortons at Saddell House, the brothers I think worked at the forestry or farming.
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Saddell Lairds

Postby SARID » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:53 pm

Thanks, Petewick, for information about the Morrisons. Have you any way of finding out about the Laird,or Lairds of Saddell in the early part of the last century? I thought perhaps "Scotland's People " might provide answers,and even though I signed up, they keep rejecting my Password,
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Mary G » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:06 pm

The Landmark Trust handbook has some of the history of the properties, and their owners. I suspect they have much more than is printed, that said, it may not take you in the directiont that you are pursuing.

All good, interesting stuff, SARID and Petewick!
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby SARID » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:13 pm

Thanks for tip, Mary G.I will certainly see what Landmark can do to satisfy my curiosity regarding Saddell estate.
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Local History and Discussion