Farm Names and Locations

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Farm Names and Locations

Postby cgms310 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:32 pm

I recently discovered that several place names on my families’ birth certificates (that I though may have been a town of village) and mentioned in letters, are in fact farm names.

I was wondering if the forum membership would be able to help me pin point the location of these farms (perhaps they are called something else now) and to whom then now belong.

From my own attempts at map reading, it would seem that the names below are in the general vicinity of High Park, almost as if High Park were the "epicenter" and these farms were “compass points” north, south east and west.

1/. Auchan Lorn or Lone.

2/. Gartgrollon.

3/. Kilmichael.

4/. Skeroblinraid.

As always, any information is highly appreciated.

Regards,

Charles Stuart. 8)
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Farm Names and Locations

Postby cgms310 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:17 pm

This morning I received yet another list of farm names that are associated with the Stewart and possibly Kelly families’. Again these are names that I am not familiar with and do not see on maps that I now own.

If anyone can help me with these farm names as to their location or "new name", please let me know.

Drum

Balnagleck

Bullargimore (possible name change)

Garlgfollen, Garlgiollen or Gariareillen

Auchucan

As a side note, Skeroblinraid (mentioned in my first e-mail) was changed to Low Park, which is the farm adjacent to High Park.

Many thanks to all,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Annie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:16 pm

Are High Park and Low Park the farms now owned by Sir Paul McCartney?

Seem to have a very vague recollection.

Send a message to 4th Gen or Big John! :D :) :D :)
Luv ya billions!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby cgms310 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:37 am

Thanks Annie,

The Low and High Park farms are indeed McCartney's along with High and Low Ranachan. I am 98% certain that these farms along with the others I have mentioned were occupied by my ancestors from the mid to late 1500's.

Today I received an e-mail from Australia with a 26 page attachment called:

Papers Relating To Kintyre (1596-1606)

In this amazing document, I found for the very first time a link to my oldest known relative Ninian Stewart, however there are more farm names which I cannot locate on any map, except those kindly shown to me by Doug McMillan, who was originally from Campbeltown but now lives here in Ontario.

Here are the names spelt from the original text and I would be very grateful for any additional information:

Lochquhordill (could this be Lochradale?)

Glak (could this be Balnaglak?)

Bar

Gartingewoche (could this be Gartgrollen?)

Thanks in advance.

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby John A » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:55 am

cgms310 wrote:If anyone can help me with these farm names as to their location or "new name", please let me know.

Drum

Balnagleck

Bullargimore (possible name change)

Garlgfollen, Garlgiollen or Gariareillen

Auchucan

Charles,
Drum & Balnagleck are both very near to the village of Kilkenzie about 4 miles west of Campbeltown as is Bullargiemore now known simply as Largiemore (but still ocasionally referred to locally as Bullergie), both Balnagleck and Largiemore were, until some land was sold for forestery neighbours to High Park.

Gariareillen is posibly Gartgrailian (sp?) which is situated East of "the Parks" nearer to the village of Peninver.

Auchucan is maybe Auchanhoan which is situted south of Campbeltown on the Leerside road near Kildaloig farm.
John A
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:53 pm

With regards locating subjects on a map if you go to www.saa.gov.uk and enter the property name on the Council Tax Search you can find the full postal address.

So for Balnagleck you find the address

BALNAGLECK
KILKENZIE
CAMPBELTOWN
PA28 6QD

Now go to http://maps.google.com/

Enter the postcode and you will find a link to the farm shown on the map eg.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... 7&t=h&z=14

Another option to use is the Council's Local View

http://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/localview/
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Annie » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:27 pm

How cool is that???
Luv ya billions!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Thanks again everyone!

Postby cgms310 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:53 am

I am sure my e-mails have become something of a pain in the a$$ too many who would rather hear about local information that some "ex-pat" living in Canada looking for his roots!!

However, I also think some may not realize exactly what the Kintyre Forum has done for me.

The people on this site are some of the most helpful and kind individuals I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.
Without mentioning names (you know who you are) you have been a lifeline for me and have directly helped link me to my family, which means so much to me personally.

After 25 plus years of ancestral research, I can honestly say that I have gained more honest information, knowledge and facts from this website as to my family origins, than from ANY other resource I have visited.

Thank you all so very much.

Charles.

p.s. Oh but think I am done just yet!!! I know when I get back from the family gathering in a few days time, there will be more questions and hopefully a few new members of the Stuart family joining the Kintyre Forum.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby sooze » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:25 pm

don't think it has been boring at all, in fact it has been facsinating to read especially the letters, so keep up the good work as I, and I am sure others will be interested.

Sooze
sooze
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Govangirl » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:10 pm

cgms310 wrote:I am sure my e-mails have become something of a pain in the a$$ too many who would rather hear about local information that some "ex-pat" living in Canada looking for his roots!!

You must be joking - I'm with Sooze, I too find it fascinating and very informative too. :D
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby cgms310 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:59 pm

Thank you Snooze and Govangirl, very nice of you to say so!

The family reunion was amazing. I met so many people and I believe it has sparked an interest in all who attended as to their family history. A family member who did not attend has since contacted us and wants to ensure their children are involved which is a very rewarding consequence of the whole idea!

I did receive an e-mail from a resource concerning grave stones in Old Kilkerran cemetery and I have a question concerning a farm called Peninver.

This farm has not come up on any prior family searches and I was wondering where the location of this farm is, in relation to other Stewart farms including High Park and Darlochan.
The farmers name was Duncan Stewart b.1788 d.1848. His wife was Margaret Greenlees who does not appear to have been buried there, however they had a child who died in infancy named John.

Greenlees is not a common name and so I am also hoping that there may be someone out there who knows of the family and may have information on the family and this couple. i.e. did that have other children, where did they go post 1848 etc?

Regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby LENIK » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:31 am

Hope it may help you !
regards,
Peter

http://web.me.com/pylcomposer/Kintyre/pics.html
LENIK