Grogport, Morag McMillan and the Strang family and "John"

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Grogport, Morag McMillan and the Strang family and "John"

Postby Redders » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:54 am

I just found this site and wonder if anyone remembers any of the people mentioned above. Morag had one of the cottages by the burn and did teas and cake to bring some money in; Hugh worked for the forestry comission and they had a little dog called Rusty. we rented the cottage next to the stream which was owned by a lady from the BBC, she rented it out to BBC staff, via the inhouse magazine Ariel; this is a few years ago; over 20 now. Hugh and Morag have been dead a while now and I think they are buried up the hill in the cemetary. I think they had family in Glasgow, either son's or daughters; not sure now; it is so long ago.

Mr. and Mrs Strang ran the b&b and had a son called Ian or Iain. I think he now lives in Carradale; not sure. I think Mr.Strang is dead as well and Mrs. Strang was going to leave the village. Not sure what happened to John. he lived on the coast next to the Strang house.

The BBC lady owned a property up the hill on the way to Carradale.

Oh one night on the way back from Carradale above Grogport we passed someone on the road; probably a biker; who was walking on the right hand side of the road; v.strangely and sort of not with a purpose; when we looked back he had vanished. Not sure if there was an accident there in the past; but he just wasn't there when we looked back. Who knows. mmmm; spooky.

I'll try and find some pics; from when we were on holiday in Grogport for your archive.

Also i remember the owners of the restaurant in Carradale at the T junction. V. nice ppl; esp when i trapped my mum's fingers in the car door and they gave her a dram for the pain and I got a glass of orange cos i was crying; :( I believe the more recent owners of the shop anyway; r ex army from Mytchett, which is near where i live now in Hampshire. but they might have moved on since i was last there.

Well if this rings any bells with anyone in Kintryre, please let me know. Pete.
Redders
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Grogport, Morag McMillan and the Strang family and "John"

Postby jdcarra » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:32 am

Hi Pete
The names are all familiar,yes Morag, Hugh and Donald Strang are all dead. Nanny Strang now lives in Campbeltown who had three sons Robert, Donnie (died) and Ian. The Campbells owned the Glen back then Keith, Walter and Moira worked in it.They sold up and Gerry Singal took over. I will post some more info and pics later.

cheers
jd
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Grogport, Morag McMillan and the Strang family and "John"

Postby Redders » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:18 pm

Would be good to see any other contributions to the information about Grogport and who remembers what about it's history; I know Morag used to say when she had made a pot of tea and cooked some Scottish pancakes; fresh herself, then we ate them on the little bridge over the burn; that the hamlet was a put down area for illicit alcohol which was landed on the beach, many many years ago.

I should imagine that by now 'John' is also dead, because when we stayed in the cottage by the burn, he was living on his own on the other side of the road. Must have been very lonely for him. Poor man.

As far as the Strang's were concerned, I remember that Mr.Strang, despite his 'disability', used to have a boat which he would take out for a spin on the water, sometimes taking it out for hire on little fishing trips.

What i do remember were the midges in the grass, grrr, nasty things. Only time they didn't bite was when the wind was p a bit or when it was raining; but glorious late summer holidays, with plenty of sun and fresh air. mmm. Lovely.

If i remember more I will let you all know. Pete.

Oh yes, there used to be a chippy in Carradale near the harbour and i remember Morag used to like sliced battered haggis and chips; we had that with her one day, when we drove down there.

There was also the Ashbank Hotel, which did the most heavenly fresh doughnuts and cream with sugar. oooh gorgeous; used to be in a side conservatory on the left of the Hotel; but i think they gave that up. What a shame.

Also there was a small chippy; called 'Port na Storm' or some such; not sure if that is still going ; but that was excellent as well; was either a converted bungalow or new build singler storey property. That was very good as well and i think they cooked all their stuff in lard, mmmm yum. delicious.
Redders
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Local History and Discussion