A Letter to Campbeltown dated September 1835

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Re: A Letter to Campbeltown dated September 1835

Postby MaryM » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:54 pm

Re Donald Cameron, although the letter says he was from Southend it is unlikely that Donald himself was ever in Southend.
He was born at Barmollach, Kilmichael Glassary 24th June 1793, eldest son of Archibald Cameron and Ann/Agnes Cameron. Around 1810 Archibald and Ann moved from Barmollach to High Glenadale, Southend with the rest of their family. Donald stayed in Kilmichael Glassary and emigrated from Crinan on 23rd June 1819 after marrying his first wife. They arrived in Montreal on the 21st August. This information comes from a detailed memoir that Donald wrote later in his life.
His second wife was Elizabeth Armour, daughter of Alexander Armour and Jane Love. Alexander Armour was probably born in Trodigal, but farmed Belloch [Glencreggan] north of Glenbarr. He was in Kilwhipnach from 1814 for a time.
Donald Cameron bought Lot 30 on 5th Concession, Vaughan soon after his marriage to Elizabeth Armour in 1824.
Archibald Cameron, High Glenadale, is the ancestor of present day Southend Camerons.
Hope this adds a few more details to your fascinating letter.
MaryM
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby cgms310 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:43 pm

Hello Mary!

Thank you so much for the valuable information. It really is great when all the pieces of the puzzle finally come together.

If you can help me, or guide me toward others who may have information regarding names mentioned, I would be very grateful.

With best regards,

Charles. 8)
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby lmfamilyresearch » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:26 pm

Good afternoon,

I am a descendant of at least 3 people mentioned in this letter: Donald Cameron, Alexander Amour (and his daughter Elizabeth, married to Donald Cameron) and the Rev. Peter McNaughton. Rev. Peter is my 3x g-grandfather, Donald and Elizabeth are my 4x g-grandparents, Alexander Armour is my 5x g-grandfather. The Camerons and McNaughtons seem to have flourished in Ontario over the generations. One of the posters on this site is related to me through Donald Cameron's father. While I know quite a bit about the Camerons and McNaughtons from their time in Canada, I know next to nothing about the Rev. Peter McNaughton's ancestors in Perthshire.

Thanks,

lmfamilyresearch
lmfamilyresearch
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Iain » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:12 pm

Great letter Charles ! That's a lucky find !

Wish you all the luck with your research..., Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby anthonym254 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:39 am

Hello everyone,
My name is Anthony born in Glasgow, now live in Canada, I just joined this forum and noticed some similarities in my family roots. Andrew Kelly b1777 and Mary McMurchie b1786 are my 3rd Great Grandparents. Andrews parents are John Kelly and Katherine Stewart married Jan 3 1773. Andrew and Marys son James Kelly and wife Mary Adam are my 2nd Great Grandparents, he was a master shoemaker. He died in Glasgow Anderston on Aug 24, 1876. Mary Adam died 1857 May 19 in Glasgow after giving birth to my Great Grandmother Janet McCallum Kelly b 1857 April 30 who married Patrick McDermott (McDermid). I am trying to find out who Janet McCallum Kelly was raised by as she does not show up on any of the Census Martha is the last child to show up on James Kellys in 1861. See below: I was told she was raised by a Eilleen Coyle but have no knowledge of who raised her in Campbeltown. Her birth shows her being born in Glasgow Anderston.
James Kelly 40
Mary Kelly 38
Andrew Kelly 16
James Kelly 14
Mary Kelly 11
John Kelly 9
Jane Kelly 5
Alex Kelly 3
Grace Kelly 9 Mo

1861 Scotland Census about James Kelly
Name: James Kelly
born: Campbeltown, argyleshire
Name Age
James Kelly 50
Jean Kelly 15
Grace Kelly 10
Martha Kelly 7

Also noted were siblings of Andrew Kelly born 1777 my 3 Great Grandfather.
Archibald born 17th June 1797, bap 18th June.
Kathrine born 7th May 1800 and bap 8th May
Dugald born 2nd May 1780
Ann born 26th April 1788
Alexander and Mary (twins) born 10th and bap 11th May (I need to check the year)
Peter born 2nd April 1784
Donald born 27th June 1780
Alexander born 10th March 1774
John Kelly and Katherine Stewart married 3rd January 1773
anthonym254
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Previous

Return to Local History and Discussion