Posters of buttermaking and Campbeltown cruise

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Posters of buttermaking and Campbeltown cruise

Postby chrisduffy » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:05 pm

Whilst browsing a poster site, I come across these of buttermaking in 1950 and an Inverary to Campbeltown 'cruise' from 1914 and thought they might interest somebody on here.
http://www.ssplprints.com/thumbnails_se ... ampbeltown

The butter making refers to a British Transport fim called Speedup, but i cant find any further reference on the net.
chrisduffy
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby EMDEE » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:09 pm

Interesting stuff. Anybody know any of the creamery workers?
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby WC1 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:49 pm

I think the information about the poster is wrong. The excursions would be from Glasgow (or, to judge by the map, Greenock's Princes Pier) to either Inveraray OR Campbeltown. I don't know of any regular scheduled sailings between Inveraray and Campbeltown in the period in question.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby WC1 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:36 pm

Further update on the last post. In Alan J S Paterson's book "The Golden Years of the Clyde Steamers 1890 - 1914" (David & Charles, 1969) p. 166, the following is found:-

"The Queen Alexandra's opening cruise was on 31 May (1902) from Prince's Pier and Gourock, thence between the Cumbraes and up Loch Fyne. She took over the Greenock, Fairlie and Campbeltown service on the following Monday, 2 June, and the King Edward, thus relieved, was placed on a new route from Prince's Pier and Fairlie to Tarbert and Ardrishaig, subsequently extended to Inveraray, in direct competition with MacBrayne's Columba and Iona and the Inveraray Company's Lord of the Isles."
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Local History and Discussion