"Industries and Trades of the Past"

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Postby History » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:38 pm

The only connection I can find is that a ropewalk was a long narrow lane or covered walkway where long strands of material were laid out before being twisted into rope. The article goes on to say that Ropewalks were:-

"harsh sweatshops, and frequently caught on fire as hemp dust forms an explosive mixture. Rope was essential in sailing ships and the standard length for a British Naval Rope was 1000 ft (305m). A sailing ship such as HMS Victory required over 20 miles (32km) of rope"

Not sure if that is the case here emdee. I suppose it would make sense that considering the amount of traffic in the loch that rope would be in great demamd for the sailing ships. Why not make their own as it would be uneconomical to send for it and wait weeks on delivery. Just a guess of course.

I also read David Stirk's book. He came to the Gentleman's club and signed all our copies 8)

History
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby EMDEE » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:23 pm

That is certainly a feasible explanation given the historical importance of the town as a seaport. "Rope Walk" on the map would therefore be a description of the purpose of the location rather than a street name. I had never heard of a rope walk before. So there was ropemaking in Campbeltown as well.

A very important town in past times when sea travel was the normal means of transport, but when land travel took precedence, it is at the "end of the line". A major factor in the town's decline.

This is one of the reasons I feel that the town would benefit from a ferry terminal, but that particular topic has been discussed ad nauseam elsewhere.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:15 am

On looking again at the map, the “rope walk” runs parallel to the road, and on the Eastern side. This would place it just inside the present-day grounds of Castlehill School., and running the whole length of the road from Stewart Road to the playing fields gate.

Following up by looking at the Campbeltown Book, I find that the ropework was established in 1769 and operated until 1911 when the last owner retired. According to the book, rope was being exported from Campbeltown to Canada in the 19th Century. It’s quite amazing what a flourishing business centre Campbeltown was in the past!

I note that there is also a relevant reference in the same book in the chapter devoted to H E Clifford, Architect:

“Clifford was also appointed as architect to the Campbeltown School Board, a position which was to result in commissions for the Grammar School workshops in Ropework Lane (1899) and St John Street Infants School (1906).”

St John Street Infants School is obviously the present St Kieran’s School, known to some of us of a certain vintage as the Maths department of the old Grammar School. (and those of an older vintage as a primary school)

Where were (or are) the Grammar School workshops. Can’t work that one out. It’s not the Castlehill School building, as it was 1935. Were they demolished at some point? i.e. to make way for the 1935 building.
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby History » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:19 am

Emdee, I have split the posts above away from "Taddy Loch"

The new heading can cover all the past trades and may even get some personal views from any of the numerous trades that once abounded in the town.

Really interesting about the ropewalk. I had not heard about until recently. Hope to hear more.

History
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby gizmo » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:43 pm

I assume most people would have seen all the carved tablets on the old library depicting the main local trades of yesteryear
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby History » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:46 pm

Have you got a list of them Gizmo. or even photos?
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby gizmo » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:06 pm

sorry fraid not.. They are on the outside of the library building.. Hopefully someone locally could post some photos
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby ionnsaigh » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:53 am

Interesting particularly the rope making - visions of large bails of cannabis hemp - being delivered - hemp was a vital and important resource - particularly in the manufacture of sail rope cloth paper etc. Campbeltown owes a great deal - to what has now become an illegal substance. Makes you think about todays current climate. I wonder if it was grown locally? - pre Mac days of course. :roll:
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby WC1 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:22 am

Where were (or are) the Grammar School workshops. Can’t work that one out. It’s not the Castlehill School building, as it was 1935. Were they demolished at some point? i.e. to make way for the 1935 building.

The 'Toblerone flats' on Argyll Street - just east of Barochan House and on the other side of Stewart's Green from the old Grammar School - were originally the school's technical workshops. I'm not sure how Ropework Lane fits in though.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby History » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:45 am

Ionsigh hopefully the product has thrown off it's hippy shackles, apparently UK farmers who in the past would have been arrested for growing it are now possibly to be encouraged to grow it because of it's beneficial properties to the environment......but before the hippies head for the countryside they need to know it will be the one without tetrahydrocannabinol which is present in the strain that gave the weed a bad name in the first place and like everything else that our planet provides completely abused by the human race instead of focussing on the benefits of the plant. Apparently it has 25.000 uses including making paper.

Imagine the amount of trees that could be saved!!!!!"

"The British Empire was built on hemp. The ships all used hemp, from the sails to the ropes down to the sailor's uniforms. At one point Britain and France went to war over protecting the Russian hemp supplies, as the Russian hemp made the strongest sails and ropes.

And the American Declaration of Independence 200 years ago was signed on paper made from hemp. George Washington was a hemp farmer....And Bill Clinton did inhale.....................Dunno about Tony Blair though!"
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby EMDEE » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:52 pm

WC1 wrote:

The 'Toblerone flats' on Argyll Street - just east of Barochan House and on the other side of Stewart's Green from the old Grammar School - were originally the school's technical workshops. I'm not sure how Ropework Lane fits in though.

:idea: I wonder if the school workshops referred to at the ropeworks are what we knew as the woodwork room of the old Grammar School?
Last edited by EMDEE on Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:53 pm

Salt Industry

Going further back in time, there was a salt industry at Machrihanish, remembered to this day by the name “The Pans” in the area.

Apparently this business was carried on from approximately 1650 till 1770. The sea water would be caught in tanks (pans) at high tide, and when the tide had receded, fires were lit under the tanks to evaporate the water, leaving the salt.

When the salt was recovered from the pans it was bagged up and sold locally and exported to Northern Ireland by boat.

Are there any remnants of this industry still visible at Machrihanish?
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby gillette » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:47 pm

There once was a tan works at the start of high askomil the road was known as Tanworks Brae
gillette
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Machrihanish » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:18 pm

EMDEE wrote:Salt Industry

Going further back in time, there was a salt industry at Machrihanish, remembered to this day by the name “The Pans” in the area.

Apparently this business was carried on from approximately 1650 till 1770. The sea water would be caught in tanks (pans) at high tide, and when the tide had receded, fires were lit under the tanks to evaporate the water, leaving the salt.

When the salt was recovered from the pans it was bagged up and sold locally and exported to Northern Ireland by boat.

Are there any remnants of this industry still visible at Machrihanish?

All that's left is some rubble Emdee, maybe we can get the time team in to investigate The Pans and further round by Uisead Point and beyond. There should be evidence of some kind of the old gaels who lived there.
Angus Martin's book: Kintyre, the hidden past is very good, so is Meanders in South Kintyre by James McNeill.

Another industry that has gone: selling the seaweed to farmers, I remember seeing accounts of the manager at Machrihanish and it showed the amounts of seaweed taken and cost etc by the local farms. All controlled by Lossit Estate I believe.
Machrihanish
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby EMDEE » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:29 pm

Both of these books are very interesting.

James McNeill's book is particularly good on the Machrihanish and Drumlemble areas.

These historical threads will make me go back and re-read the local books that I have. There is a wealth of information available in them, and it is good that it has all been written down and published.
:D
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Local History and Discussion