Witchburn Road

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Witchburn Road

Postby Malky » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:32 pm

Here's a good photo of Witchburn Road. It would be interesting to hear peoples comments, especially History. A date would be good too.

You can view a larger version on Historic Kintyre by clicking the image there.

Link is http://www.campbeltownloch.com/photogallery.php?photo_id=341

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:54 pm

Late 19th early 20th Centuries. Anybody got a date for the construction of Arnish, Redknowe etc.?

What is the pole-like structure just inside the field to the left of the picture? Don't think it'll be a telegraph pole. :lol:

I think the stone structure further along the wall was a watering trough for horses, obviously the form of transport at the time.

Surprising how recognisable the place is compared to today. Maybe somebody will go along and take a new photo to compare. :D
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby History » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:08 pm

Redknowe was built in 1876. Not sure about Arnish or Whitehill...but I'm fairly certain that Whitehill was built before 1876.

The field on this side of Redknowe is where "Longstop" is built. By the construction of it I think it went up in the 50's and was used as a Coastguard Officers home. I think it was named after the famous battle in 1943 "Longstop Hill" I'm sure someone will know. Not sure if I made that up or someone told me :roll:

The small row of cottages beyond Whitehill House were demolished in the sixties and a block of local authority houses was built on the site sometime in the 70's?

One of the original cottages was home to the Graham family one of whom was called Ned who drove the steam roller for the old County Council. His turned up at the toes tackety boots were something to behold and I'm sure I'm not the only one to remember them. I have never seen a pair of boots like them since :D

There is not a lot in the picture to go by. I know that was a well at one time. As you say possibly for horses?

By the ladies dress your dates could be right.

The haystack builder must have been off the day they built the ones in the picture though. :shock:

History
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby EMDEE » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:31 pm

I too have heard that Longstop was named after the Battle of Longstop Hill.

Interesting that you mention the Graham family. Ned and his brother Archie and sister Jeannie were rehoused in the new block when it was completed in 1969, on the site of their old demolished cottage. I remember Wee Ned’s boots too.
:D
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:32 pm

Great thread by the way and interesting to read.

EMDEE wrote:Maybe somebody will go along and take a new photo to compare. :D

Just something we have been on about too. 8) You got a camera EMDEE or more likely some old photos. :wink:
Last edited by Ship called Dignity on Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:36 pm

Too many good photographers on the forum for me to compete. :D
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Malky » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:28 pm

History wrote:The haystack builder must have been off the day they built the ones in the picture though. :shock:

They're not really haystacks just rucks.

When the grass is mown it is in swathes and this would have been turned over by hand every day until dry. The hay is then gathered into rucks (as seen in the photo) and finally the rucks are transported to the farm and built into stacks. The stacks had to stay out all winter so it was a precision job to build them to withstand the rigours of the winter weather. They were usually thatched with rashes (rushes) to shed rainwater too.

Kintyre Lad, I'm sure could tell you more :)

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby History » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:33 am

I noticed a picture in the McGrory archives of a load of haystacks in the same field but looking at the houses from a different angle. It shows Whitehill House sitting on it's own so that would tell you it was there before Arnish and Redknowe. The photo is also in the Campbeltown book

History
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby EMDEE » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:25 pm

That photo looks as if it might be quite a lot earlier than the one above. The gardens at Arnish and Redknowe look as if they are fairly well established with trees and shrubs in the photo on here, whereas the site is just a green field in the other one. I would have thought it would take a good number of years for this to happen.

If Redknowe was built in 1876, this would possibly date the later photo as into the beginning of the 20th Century, considering the maturity of the gardens.
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Local History and Discussion