History

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

History

Postby History » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:54 pm

Would like to get as much history and discussion about the area on here.

Hopefully we can unearth some old photos and get some detailed info on them from the members.

If anyone has photo's or local related stories that could be of interest to anyone looking for info and if you want to share it on here but don't want to post it then PM me.

History
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby EMDEE » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:01 am

This is potentially a very good thread, as there is a lot of material about.

Local history is very often connected with families or personal, and therefore not public knowledge, and this is where a discussion board like this could score in collating information not otherwise publicly available.

Any guidelines on which direction you want to go?
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby History » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:13 am

EMDEE wrote:This is potentially a very good thread, as there is a lot of material about.

Local history is very often connected with families or personal, and therefore not public knowledge, and this is where a discussion board like this could score in collating information not otherwise publicly available.

Any guidelines on which direction you want to go?

No guidelines as such but would hope that members will contribute to any discussion or topic their knowledge of the subject and to collate some more personal history obviously with the permission of the parties involved.

There is plenty of good written material available to the public at the moment but as a forum I think we could elaborate on some of it by personal contributions.

A couple who had come over from Texas were trying to find their ancestors and went to the library to ask about a farm and it's whereabouts. The staff on duty couldn't help but the couple went into a local bar and they had the info in minutes. The staff in the libray are excellent but the ones on that day had very little local knowldge. I see that as an example of how the forum could help. Maybe even before visitors arrive they could find out what they are looking for. The couple had even been to the Tourist Information and had no joy.

You will find out more about what makes Carradale tick on here than any guide book. The Mok run thread is probably as good as it gets for anyone wanting info on the next event and how the locals are dealing with it all so why not a history thread that is informal but informative, keeping to the topic but a bit of slack as regards asides.

History
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: History

Postby cgms310 » Tue May 13, 2008 8:28 pm

Good Evening from Ontario, Canada.

My name is Charles MacLeod-Stuart originally from the UK, I have lived in the US and Canada for the past 25 years. During that time, I have been researching my family who lived and worked in Campbeltown circa 1612.

Campbeltown Old Parish Records:
Ninian Stewart b. 1644 married Jane Milne b. 1645
Sons: Robert b. 1674, David b. 1678 and John b. 1683

Robert Stewart b. 1674 married Mary Bruce b. 1685
Sons: Archibald b. 1712, Charles b. 1715 and a daughter: Isabell b. 1699

Archibald Stewart b. 1712 married Jean Ryeburn b. 1725
Sons: Archibald b.1751, William b. 1744, James b.1747 and daughters: Mary b. 1737, Elspa b. 1740 and Jean b. 1748

Archibald Stewart b. 1751 married (1) Flory McNeilage b. 1755 d. 1783
Daughter: Mary Stewart b 1783 ( Mary never married and lived in Campbeltown her whole life)
Archibald Stewart then married (2) Mary McLean b. 1762
Sons: Andrew b. 1784, Alexander b. 1786 Donald b. 1789 and John b. 1797

The Stewart family ran a blacksmith business in town and hired several local people as workers. Other brothers and cousins were fishermen and still others owned one or more farms (* Clachan of Struan is one such farm) and a house called ** High Park, which is now owned by Paul McCartney of Beatles fame.

One of the Stewart sons (Alexander b. 1786 see above), left Campbeltown circa 1832 and moved to Glasgow with his blacksmith business to begin making nuts, bolts and screws for the growing ship building industry in Govan.

With his wife Catherine Kelly (b. 1801) also of Campbeltown, they changed (for reasons known only to them) the spelling of their family name to Stuart. The family lived there until the 1930's and dispersed over England, Australia, New Zealand, the USA and perhaps Canada (the latter of which I still have no proof).

* I have spoken with Forbes (James) Stewart who now lives and works the farm known as Clachan of Struan. Forbes is not a relative, but his grandfather did purchase the farm from my family many years ago.

** If anyone has photographs of High Park, I would love to see them as I have never been to Campbeltown despite many trips to Scotland as a child and most recently in 2002.

Having explained who I am and where I am from, I would like to hear from anyone who feels that they may be related or perhaps knows more of the history surrounding the Stewart family who lived in the region during that time frame.

With best regards to all,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby EMDEE » Wed May 14, 2008 1:14 am

Charles

Have you tried the Church or the Latter Day Saints website? (Mormons)

A lot of the information you have given is way back. It may be that you might find something on there that might give you some more clues.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby cgms310 » Wed May 14, 2008 3:16 am

Hi ENDEE,

Yes I have been to all of the known and a few unknown websites for information and help. After 25 years of research, I think I have exhausted most avenues, but thank you for the suggestion.

I await the 1911 census with baited breath, as I know a bunch of new information is going to surface. I know this because through the website called Scotlands People, I have been able to obtain copies of birth, death and marriage certificates, for many of my more recent family members.

Only in March of this year did I find an entire family of Whitby-Stuart's in Sussex, whose grandfather (John Stuart) was my grandfather's younger brother. Even more amazing was that two of his children are still "with us" (Ken Stuart 84 and Irene Stuart 92).

I intend to fly to England to meet them VERY soon and try to obtain as much information as I can. Both of the surviving children knew and used to play with my father (Ian Graham MacLeod-Stuart) when they were youngsters in Glasgow and in Ardler, Perthshire, where my grandfather Archibald Graham Stuart was the local Presbyterian minister.

I do have a large collection of contacts and websites for those who wish to research their Scottish heritage and families. Perhaps the moderator of this site would send me an e-mail directing me as to were best these could be placed, to assist others.

Regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: History (The Gathering)

Postby cgms310 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:27 pm

After much effort by one of my cousins in England, we are all finally going to meet for the first time in England, in early August.

We intend to gather at an hotel in Tunbridge Wells, which is a mid way point for all the family locations.

Again, I want to say that the Kintyre Forum has played a MAJOR role in the bringing together of my family and I will toast you all for your kindness and contributions to the research.

At this time, it looks like we will have 25 Stuart's in building............"So there goes the neighbourhood"!!!!!

Happy Fathers day to one and all.

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby cgms310 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:35 pm

Here is (almost) the whole Fan Damily! (seven were missing)

The good looking fellow in the middle with the white shirt and black vest is me!

--------------------------------------------

This picture is of my 2nd cousin Kenneth Whitby-Stuart who knew my father Ian, when they were children.

Ken is holding a picture of his grandfather which he had never seen until that day. My brother John made a copy and gave it to him. I cannot tell you how moving that was.

Ken's elder sister (94) could not attend as her sight is failing, she did however enjoy hearing all about the gathering and I am hoping to see her next year when I return for my son's wedding.

Regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Govangirl » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:41 pm

A lovely post. You can see the resemblance in the photograph of his grandfather.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby kenpat » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:02 pm

I have just found the Forum. I have been reading a copy of Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress which was presented to my paternal Grandmother by the Kintyre Cl;ub when she was at Carradale Public School probably around 1890! (No date given)
She was Jessie Simpson Paterson, of Kilbrannan and a sister to George, Archie, Maggie, Tam, Robbie and Walter and she married my paternal grandfather who also had Paterson as a surname!
Incidentally, I did not get any prizes when I was at Carradale School in 1939/40 as an 'evacuee' from Glasgow to Jakmen Lodge, Carradale! I was only there for a few months before my father, Thomas Menzies, decided that there was little danger in living in Glasgow.
kenpat
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby SARID » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:11 pm

Kenpat-------Just read your post about the book presented to your Grandmother, Jessie Paterson, in the late 1800's. The Kintyre Club provided the prize presented to the "Dux " in the final primary class. I think we can be pretty sure Jessie was the "Dux " that particular year.
I never hear of the Kintyre Club now,so I presume the Club no longer exists. Anyone able to give any information regarding the history of the Club etc.? It was still on the go when I left Carradale School in the late forties.
I presume every primary school in Kintyre also received the Kintyre Club prize to present to their best pupil.
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby SARID » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:38 pm

I've "Googled " the Kintyre Club, but could find no mention. Anyone have any information as to when it folded, or who the members were etc etc.
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby MPR » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:42 am

I am quite interested in any local history regarding the limecraigs duchess, Have read the area books where shes mentioned but would love to hear any "local" stuff. Wish I had listened to my fathers stories better.I remember walking down the cutting green and seeing the remains of what I think was her house.
MPR
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Trev » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:27 pm

Elizabeth Tollemache, Duchess of Argyll, died at Limecraigs in 1735, and her final resting place would appear to have been in the Lowland Church in Kirk St., which was restored in 1904 by the Collegiate Kirk Session and became the Highland Church hall. During the work they discovered evidence of her burial there.
Trev
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby glenn » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:51 pm

Just thinking... wouldn't it be fantastic if the forum "fat controllers" :lol: could set an on-line kintyre history competition. like University Challenge , where forum members were grouped into 4s , and it was a knockout , to see who won !
You've got the forum names from the history posting etc .,so can you computer whizz-kidz do it ? I hope so !
glenn
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Next

Return to Local History and Discussion