merchants in Campbeltown

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

merchants in Campbeltown

Postby james o'shea » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:58 pm

I am researching the letterbook 1771/72 of Richard Hare, a prominent Cork merchant. This contains some references to Campbeltown in relation to the herring trade and to rum. In particular a firm Campbell McNeil [also spelt McNeal!] & Campbell is mentioned as is Charles McNeil & Co. I am trying to get data on all merchants mentioned in the letterbook. I wonder would anyone have anything on this company or could you refer me to anyone who could help?
james o'shea
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby EMDEE » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:48 am

Any info on what line of trade these businessess were involved in? i.e. fishing, distilling, cooperage, freight?
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby james o'shea » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:54 am

The only reference I have is to herrings and rum. I would assume they were general merchants.
james o'shea
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Machrihanish » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:16 pm

I found some info I was looking for in The Statistical Accounts of Scotland, very interesting reading, you might try looking there for any mention of those Businesses:

http://edina.ac.uk/stat-acc-scot/

p.s. just noticed that they are 20 years too late DOH ! still a handy reference though.
Machrihanish
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby james o'shea » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:36 am

I will have a look at this thanks.
james o'shea
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Local History and Discussion