Campbeltown Public Houses

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Pubs in Maryhill Road

Postby oorly gourlay » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:36 pm

After a truly remarkable occasion at Hampden in 1971 I ventured back to Firhill Road to welcome home the heroes. Celebrations complete with the team, I started off at Munn's Vaults and headed back down Maryhill Road to George's Cross taking the venerable (at least) half pint in the watering holes all the way down the road, as I foggily recall many were free and the last one I can recall was in Davie McParland's bar that had extended in to the street and beyond. Quite a night and I still have total recall of the match.

Unfortunately, not too many of these days since.

oorly
Over land and sea!
oorly gourlay
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby ionnsaigh » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:29 pm

Pub P

A large hotel in centre of town. The Sunday after the night before. Visions of past splendour - greet the visitor. The grand entrance - has a nearby bench that I used to sit and smoke - and generally see what was happening in the street - weather permitting. The place is luxuriously blessed by ample space - plenty of rooms - where both drinker and resident can relax. On that particular Sunday - the bar had been opened for about an hour. The bar is a smaller type room situated at the back of the building. It was packed out with local folk - who where all the worse for wear. A party in full swing - swearing - playing guitars - singing loud and drunken laughter. We quickly removed ourselves to a more peaceful area - where our own voice could be heard. A unique wee serving hatch added to the attraction - The owner of the place served us - You Sir - do Campbeltown no favour - in your grim manner - and the lack of the common curtsies - of saying thank you - and hello - what can I do for you. The sound of football supporter songs - drifted in like a bad smell. The place itself however is absolutely fine. I recognise that money can be tight for any local business - however compromising certain public standards - in the pursuit of the buck - is I'm afraid totally unacceptable - which is a real pity and loss - as to the building - and what I saw of - the hard working staff they are both - a credit to this establishment - and to the town. 8).
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby sahara » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:34 pm

lol :D
think im guessing where u on aboot, if im rite, the owner isnt very pleasant and people friendly at all
:shock: sunday lunchtimes in there r horrendous
sahara
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby ionnsaigh » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:08 pm

The White Hart hotel- will have a full inspection next weekend - followed by an in-depth report. I will of course visit a certain establishment in Burnside Square. :shock:
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:04 am

The White Hart Hotel,
Well some things never seem to change - staff shortages remain a major source of poor poor service. Why should the one and only - fairly new bar person - be expected to run into the lounge to help out there. At the expense of bar customers - regulars who contribute more than diners - and the occasional drinker. Having to wait totally unacceptable delays. That is just not good enough - Management take note.
The most significant change noted - is the cracks on what must be a perfect candidate - for the most uneven bar surface in Scotland. The unfortunate and sober gentleman - who was extremely embarrassed and horrified - to see his pint of beer disappear with a thunderous crash. It narrowly missed the bar person - who to his credit tried to reassure the man that it wasn't his fault.
When I return in the summer - and conditions have not improved - I will personally contact the licensing authority regarding - public health and safety.
As far as Oak is concerned. I remember Peters jaw dropping when I happened to mention that oak required Three hundred years to grow - Three hundred to live -and Three hundred to die. Then again Peter can be forgiven as he put his life into the running of the hotel. A concept and value missing from the current managers.
Seriously they should get the finger out and re-establish peters high standards.
A White Hart Hotel Lover. 8)
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:20 am

The Harts not been the same since my maw left
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:25 am

Sheik Yir Erse wrote:Sorry to (partially) hijack your thread Ionns, but exactly how many 'drinking establishments' i.e. licensed premises are there Campbeltown and the surrounding area? My guess is quite a few.

Me, Ranald, Sentrano and Faceman did a tour one night, not including hotels. Canna mind the exact order but it was Commercial, Wee Toon, MacGochans, Davaar, Glue Pot, Fiddlers, Dont think Kilbrannan was open then, Burnside, Feathers, Para, Ailsa then Whiskys. So thats 12 actual pubs. Dont think I missed any out.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

WHITE HART HOTEL

Postby DRUMLEMEN1 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:53 pm

I must say that the White Heart Hotel cannot give Campbeltown a good reputation with respect to restaurant service. I visited that Hotel one Sunday in the middle of March for dinner in their conservatory restaurant. Was sitting down for 15 minutes before a guy who said he was the Chef turned up and asked if I was a resident. After replying I was not a resident he said he could not serve me any food as he was the only person on duty in the kitchen. If Campbeltown's main hotel cannot provide food at 7-30pm on a Sunday night what chance has Campbeltown got of attracting tourists.
DRUMLEMEN1
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:07 pm

A Horse called Juan Face wrote:Me, Ranald, Sentrano and Faceman did a tour one night, not including hotels. Canna mind the exact order but it was Commercial, Wee Toon, MacGochans, Davaar, Glue Pot, Fiddlers, Dont think Kilbrannan was open then, Burnside, Feathers, Para, Ailsa then Whiskys. So thats 12 actual pubs. Dont think I missed any out.

Horse - you didn't manage all the hotels, and clubs on top of these - ya lightweight :lol: :lol: ? I wonder with the likes of the Masonic, Bowling Clubs, Main Street Club, Craigard, etc. I'm guessing there must be at least another dozen, if not more?
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Local History and Discussion