Campbeltown Public Houses

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Campbeltown Public Houses

Postby ionnsaigh » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:26 pm

Local History and discussion -so please bear with me . I travelled down and up Maryhill Road today. I recall an auld story aboot awe the pubs. Apparently you would find it impossible to visit every pub and drink a half pint of beer in each. Jist wan o these wee stories ye hear.
However Campbeltown has more than it's fair share of pubs. One of it's valuable assets - from a visitors point of view. There must be some stories of the pubs and punters over the years. I've never ventured into the Para Handy or the big pub on the corner MaConicals spelling wrong. Going into the Ailsa is like going back in time to Seventies Glasgow. a jist love yur pubs. Why not have a yearly pub festival.
:wink:
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:36 pm

I thought there was a pub festival every weekend! :lol:
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:35 pm

So what is the most popular bar in the town :wink:
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jdcarra » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:56 pm

ionnsaigh wrote:So what is the most popular bar in the town :wink:

In Burnside Square the Commercial, Feathers, Burnside are some of the ones we visit when let out of Trumpton occasionally :) .
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:30 am

Sorry to (partially) hijack your thread Ionns, but exactly how many 'drinking establishments' i.e. licensed premises are there Campbeltown and the surrounding area? My guess is quite a few.
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby general jack o'niell » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:00 am

is it just pubs or licensed premises like dellwood? if its all then its over 30 or used to be as you have to take a few off that don't exist anymore like babettes, but then uou have to add craigard but what do i know, i've never been in most of them, do you count pubs wth more than one bar once or twice? like kilbrannan or parahandy. just thinking about it theres a whole swathe of bars i havent been in for 25 yrs, yes it is my silver wedding this year, might have something to do with it? 35 comes to mind as a total for everywhere you can buy a drink
general jack o'niell

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:07 am

I would suggest anywhere you could pay to have a drink, including Pubs, hotels, clubs, golf clubs, etc. There must be a fair few, I remember counting them when I was a youngster and there were over 30 then (I think)

For the sake of keeping the numbers down I would count it as licensed premises as opposed to different bars i.e. The Commercial and The Stables are one establishment.
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:49 am

One Saturday late afternoon last year - we decided to leave the comfort and banter of the White Hart (public Bar)
We drifted down the street - to what shall remain an unknown pub destination. ( pub X ). The bar front requires a lick of paint - however peeled paint adds to the character. Their was about Ten folk in the long bar - that immediately confronts the customer. The folk looked - if you pardon the expression rough and ready - poor ish.
I noticed that at least three single women in the bar - sitting separately and judging by their demeanour happy with the drink. They where obviously not out to pick up men. if you know what I mean. The bar was Spartan in comparison to White Hart. However the atmosphere was amicable and welcoming. Everyone knew everyone else this much was evident - by the sometimes colourful banter shouted from table to bar. Two boxes of assorted crisps - stood by the end of the bar above the selected nuts. both roasted and salted.
The bar person was friendly - with an easy smile - as where the customers. The questions start to fly - hello how are you - did I see you here a couple of weeks back - what do you work at - what is your name - mines so and so - how do you do. The gents toilet is a site to behold - however it was clean enough - and served it's purpose.
Mind you when the bar person decided to lock the front door - I didn't know what was happening - I believe it's known locally - as a lock in. Great stuff and in my opinion an honour - imagine our sheer delight when the ashtrays revealed themselves from under the bar. 10 out of 10 pub X.
As we hope to visit some time in Easter - I will report on my findings of another bar - in Campbeltown. :wink:
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:44 pm

We went into a pub in Burnside Square. ( Y ) We entered by the lounge area - as it was a weekday afternoon - the lounge was deserted. A door to the left of the bar - led to a noisy ( laughs and chatter ) public bar.
A punter from the bar shouted to the bar person - that he had customers in the lounge - cheers mate.
The lounge was clean and the tables where polished. Brass and dark wood dominated - with a collection of pub prints - liberally scattered on fresh looking wallpaper. A juke box machine stood - prettily transformed by blue neon light . However one had to navigate past - to get to the gents. The toilets were reasonably clean and presentable.
The guy who served us -absolutely priceless - dead pan - couldn't give a monkey - who he was serving. I wonder if anyone ever saw him smile. Mind you - a did see him nick into the White Hart - for a refreshment ( dinner time) break. Aye yer pubs have got character - remember we will be calling to a pub near you. 8)
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby abbey craig » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:00 pm

I bet your a nightmare to live with Ionn :roll: :lol:
abbey craig
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby petewick » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:19 pm

I remember hearing about a customer who had a difference of opinion with a local landlord.
A week or so later a ppthe said landlord took delivery of a bag and once opened a seagull flew out
screechin, flappin and sh*ttin a roon the bar causin' general mayhem.
Rooks? Rooks?
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mod4 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:27 pm

I've split this thread as it was going off the topic. The split is now http://www.kintyreforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5428

Remember this is Local History and Discussion (but thinking of moving this as relates to the pubs now...)

Thanks
Mod4
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby ionnsaigh » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:17 am

A couple of years back - Fiona's - brother and wife stayed at ( baby boom house ) . We where staying at the White Hart. That place misses Peter - anyway we where invited up to baby boom for dinner.
The house is a splendid example of Scottish craftsmanship. On entering your visually greeted - by what I can only describe as Victorian - the stairway rises magnificently to a stained glass window - that would make any high definition television - look cheap in comparison. The whole place is stunningly beautiful - I thought of Duke Street Hospital on a cold November morning in 1952. Crying a silent tear we where shown up to the bedroom. Stewart and Ishbel loved the place. I thought the place wonderful - although pretentious - me being me.
The dinner was absolutely fine - pre Joanne days. When we visit Campbeltown I usually find that we are restricted to where I can eat - being a vegan. However I thoroughly enjoyed my meal. The Dinning room was small and cosy as were the sitting room absolutely splendid fur a wee boy - fae glesga. Afterwards we enjoyed drinks on the lawn.
I found this difficult to keep up with the conversation - as the sheer stark beauty of the place vied for attention.
We each had Two glasses of Islay Mist Ten year old. My only problem was - what I perceived to be - the stingy amount of lemonade with the drinks - had to ask for more - Oliver Twist like. All in all great place -although those yacht types take a bit of getting used too. A round of applause for this establishment. Ten out of Ten for location- Eight for service.
8)
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:22 am

Having amply recharged our batteries - we strolled along the front heading into the town - it was a Saturday and in the middle of Glasgow Fair - so the place was jumping - the shows where in town. We went into bar ( AA ).
This pub has an added attraction - in that Fiona's parents - enjoyed a wee tipple in - at the Glasgow Fair. Imagine going to Campbeltown fur yur holidays. Anyway the bar was extremely busy and noisy - pre bar fit days .
We found a place in the corner. Two or Three Men with Women - where drinking at the bar - and they all looked and sounded well on. Soon we where in amongst - the banter and friendly debate - our new found friends began singing - asking - well demanding that we join in. To my amusement one of the men was paying Fiona - unwarranted attention - Drunk men being - some drunk men - anyway he started calling her darling so on and so forth. Winking you name it - however this was swiftly rectified - by myself - having a quiet wee word in his ear. However to his credit and the rest of the company - I could not detect any feelings of animosity. One of the drunken Women asked me if I could give a song - I cannae sing fur peanuts - so I had to decline her wish - as tactfully as possible. I offered to recite a poem or two - pity that never went down to well with her - as I was told tae feck off - they never knew what they missed. I will come back to this bar in another post - after it was done up. keep listening Davie. :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:09 pm

Bar AA

After an enjoyable five mile walk - on a very warm afternoon - Two pints of lager shandy awaited. A pleasant surprise - awaits. The place had received - a new look transformation. As it was a weekday afternoon - the bar was relatively quiet. Well not exactly - Two rather expensive looking large television sets - blared for attention. Both where showing the same channel - Football pundits - smug -at their own slim grasp of the philosophical understanding of the game. We Sat at one of the beautifully large plane glass windows - Ten out of ten in terms of architectures acceptance and surrender to -of the natural beauty of the loch. The pub was very clean and reasonably comfortable. The size of the seats and tables are not conducive to spreading out and relaxing - For the likes of me - I never never - want to come across those copper plated tables ever again. I would hazard a guess that this establishment - could be fairly described - as a man's shoap. And a good wan at that. Particularly if your a Rangers supporter - only an impression mind you - an impression. :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Local History and Discussion