Craigard

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Birthday treat at Craigard

Postby jdcarra » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:33 am

Well from the two of us being born there it was a treat to be taken out for an evening meal last Thursday night as a present for both our birthdays by an elderly lady friend. Well actually the three of us all fall on February, 17,26 and 27th. We were greeted by Roger and taken in to the sitting room awaiting our table. I noticed the birthday cards on the mantlepiece and remarked to Roger about ours with him replying he was on the 27th as was mine, but with a few years of a difference between us :wink: . We were introduced to the babies of Craigard book which we duly signed and noted some familier names and ages :lol: . Onwards to the restaurant for a splendid meal and coffee after and before departing a quick show of the Bengullion room with its giant four poster bed. Next to that was the Sanda room (occupied by resident) which was the delivery room were we were born. Overall, an excellant local venue, warm and lovely decor. Our thanks to Roger and staff for an excellant meal and tour.

Hallway
Babies of Craigard
Mothers/Midwifes of Craigard
Bengullion room
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Craigard

Postby Rosemary Scott » Sat May 03, 2008 2:40 pm

I was one of the babies born in 1942 the year I believe it was first used as a maternity hospital.I was recently lucky enough to be able to go back to where I was born and pleasantly surprised to find it was now a hotel,and was able to stay there for a week.It was a birthday surprise from my son last year and what a lovely birthday present it was to be in Craigard on the actual day I was born!!
Rosemary Scott
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Rosemary Scott » Tue May 06, 2008 7:35 pm

I was surprised actually that there are no pictures of Craigard on the website.I took some when I was up last November from the outside and it is still a very imposing building, it has served Campbeltown well over the years.I have tried to send the photos I took but I am not really getting anywhere.I will have to wait till one of my sons comes to see me and can send them as I am no computer buff can just manage to get by
Rosemary Scott
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Ship called Dignity » Tue May 06, 2008 9:21 pm

Rosemary Scott wrote:I was surprised actually that there are no pictures of Craigard on the website.

Hi Rosemary

Which website?
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rosemary Scott » Wed May 07, 2008 11:53 am

Oops. Sorry I meant on the Historic Kintyre section where there are a lot of pics
Rosemary Scott
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Kenneth » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:58 pm

I was born in Craigard in 1946 and my sister in 1952. I also had no idea that the facility was quite new then. We immigrated to Canada in 1957, but have the fondest of memories of Campbeltown. When on a visit in 1993 I managed to take a picture of Craigard, and heard that it was turned into a B&b.

Ken
Cornwall
Canada
Kenneth
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Location: 3 Hillside Road, Campbeltown, then Cornwall, Ontario, Canada

Postby mrn » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:00 pm

Kenneth wrote:When on a visit in 1993 I managed to take a picture of Craigard, and heard that it was turned into a B&b.

Ken
Cornwall
Canada

Hi Ken,

It is a small hotel. Their website is

http://www.craigard-house.co.uk/

Mags
mrn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby chuckiebay » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:45 pm

In February it will be 70 years since the first baby was born in Craigard. I was the second and am now very curious as to who the first baby was. His father was in the navy. The Grammar School was taken over by naval intelligence at that time and perhaps he was attached to that. I have tried the register of births for Campbeltown but you need a name to go with the date. Any suggestions?
chuckiebay
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby gizmo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:43 pm

Would it not be as simple as going to the registrar, asking to see your entry and going back a couple of pages.
I hope this isnt a stupid reply.
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby chuckiebay » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:06 pm

Gizmo that is a very obvious sensible answer. I was trying to find out on the internet. I wonder if these records will still be held in Campbeltown. I'll just have to call in and find out!
chuckiebay
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Previous

Return to Local History and Discussion