White Hart Bar Painting

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

White Hart Bar Painting

Postby Frosty » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:34 am

I stayed in the White Hart last weekend. Absolutely fantastic hospitallity .
While in the Public Bar having a couple on Sunday night I noticed the painting of the Old Quay , with some CN boats and a BA ( not sure what area that is ? ) registered boat too.
Does anybody know the artist or any info. on this painting ?
Hows about a picture too so other can see what I'm talking about ( I didn't have my camera with me at the time. )
Can anyone help ?
Cheers

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby ionnsaigh » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:04 am

Frosty, I have a couple of clear pictures of this painting - unfortunately it is far beyond my capabilities to put them on this forum.
Their is also a couple of paintings very similar in style - in a bar in Islay.
These were apparently done by a Irish alcoholic local - however they show much more social comment than one would expect. I personally feel that standing at the bar - admiring works of art - is to be a highly recommended pastime.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby petewick » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:56 am

The painting was done by a local man John McWhirter who sadly passed away not so long ago.
He was a pupil of Mr Togneri at Campbeltown Grammer in the early to mid 60's.

Ionns, standing at a bar admiring ANYTHING is a worthwhile pastime.

petewick
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:39 pm

I agree, I once wrote a poem regarding a certain bottle of springbank behind the bar in the White Hart. ( the bottle ).
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby KennyG » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:45 pm

i mind peter stogdale showing me a mistake (mibbes deliberate) in the painting - its got something to do with the reg number on one o the boats. its either got 2 different numbers on each side of the hull or the number reflected in the water is different. canny mind. ill need to have a wee look when im in next
KennyG
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby KERTERSKID » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:58 pm

The mistake is that the boats in the inner harbour are at a lower level - lower state of tide - than those in the foreground. It is suspected that one side was sketched in the morning and the other side in the afternoon when tide level had changed.
KERTERSKID
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby LO » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:36 pm

Is this the same painting to which Mr Stogdale discreetly added the cut-out of a baby penguin after a certain incident? (My lips are sealed!)
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby sconeface » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:50 pm

What happened to all of the paintings that Maureen Finn did for the Stogdales, are they still in the Whitehart ?- she had lovely paintings in the restaurant upstairs
sconeface
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

White Hart Painting

Postby Frosty » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:18 pm

Thanks for all the info so far, you would think that I would know all about it as I spent many a time in there myself when I was younger.
Didn't notice the different levels of the boats or any mistakes in the reflections though.
The paintings up stairs in the resturant are mainly of ships etc. , so I'm not sure if these are the ones you are thinking about sconeface.
Now anyone with a photo to help ?
cheers
fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby petewick » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:19 pm

KennyG wrote:i mind peter stogdale showing me a mistake (mibbes deliberate) in the painting - its got something to do with the reg number on one o the boats. its either got 2 different numbers on each side of the hull or the number reflected in the water is different. canny mind. ill need to have a wee look when im in next

You'll be too pished to remember
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: White Hart Bar Painting

Postby jdcarra » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:11 am

Frosty wrote:I stayed in the White Hart last weekend. Absolutely fantastic hospitallity .
While in the Public Bar having a couple on Sunday night I noticed the painting of the Old Quay , with some CN boats and a BA ( not sure what area that is ? ) registered boat too.
Does anybody know the artist or any info. on this painting ?
Hows about a picture too so other can see what I'm talking about ( I didn't have my camera with me at the time. )
Can anyone help ?
Cheers

fROSTY

Wee Christmas present for you Frosty.

The barmaid was kind enough to remove the decorations for pic two.

I remember the painting now and notice CN 167 in the painting which was the number of the Harvest Queen, my first berth in Carradale back in the early 70's.

jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

White Hart Painting

Postby Frosty » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:31 am

Absolutely fantastic JD , Thank you very much for taking the time to do this.
All the best
fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby general jack o'niell » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:27 pm

can't say i've ever studied the painting before, couldn't even say wherabouts it is, not being familiar with the place, but i do think thats the Jasmine CN110 in the background up beside dunkie donalds oil tank?

the old buildings and the skeegs bring back childhood memories, what age was the wee boy or girl that painted it?
general jack o'niell

Return to Local History and Discussion