RMS Oropesa

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

RMS Oropesa

Postby Peter Jones » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:30 am

My father served aboard this ship during the early 1930's and I have been researching it for some years.

On 16/01/1941 she was torpedoed and sunk by U96 100 miles north west of Bloody Foreland (Northern Ireland) in the vicinity of Rockall. (My father was no longer a crew member by this time.)Some 106 survivors were landed at Campbeltown from HMS Tenacity during the days following.

I am very interested to know if the local press reported any of these events - admittedly unlikely because of war casualty news embargo. Are there any local history details? It is possible, although again unlikely, that victims may have been buried locally and/or their names appear on local war memorials.

I would be pleased to hear from any one who can provide informatio. Thank you, Peter Jones.
Peter Jones
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: RMS Oropesa

Postby alanw » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:44 pm

Hello Peter

Sorry I am not able to reply to your post but wonder if you can help me.

I have through family records a calling card marked in script with Samuel C. Brown R.M.S. Oropesa. Probably dates from 1920's/30s/40s? I have been trying to find out who this is and maybe some reason for the card being in my possession....would you have any info from your research about Samuel?

Thanks

Alan
alanw
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby UP THE ROAD » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:41 pm

Try this webpage. There is a discussion forum on it and the people posting on it seem very helpful regarding queries. There's also a Navy Website - best of luck.
www.mercantilemarine.org/

www.m-navydays.com/
UP THE ROAD
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby alanw » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:05 am

UP THE ROAD wrote:Try this webpage. There is a discussion forum on it and the people posting on it seem very helpful regarding queries. There's also a Navy Website - best of luck.
http://www.mercantilemarine.org/

http://www.m-navydays.com/

Thanks for this suggestion - I will follow up as suggested....

alan
alanw
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Local History and Discussion