Cambelltown question

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Postby ChrisA » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:45 pm

bill wrote:On page 98 of "The Campbeltown Book",commissioned by The Kintyre Civic Society,there is a fisheries chart dated 1750 with Campbeltown clearly shown spelt with 2 LL's.

I see. Ye olde spelling style causing confusion.

I lived in a town outside of Manchester called AltrinCHAM. It is pronounced Altrin-GAM, and the first spelling was Altring HAM, some council lunatic had a slow day, and changed it to AltrinCHAM ... and nobody can get their head around it. :?
ChrisA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:36 am

Whilst idly surfing the web this morning I came across this entry about Campbeltown on the British History Online website:

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=43425#s30

It talks about "CAMPBELLTOWN, a burgh and parish, in the district of Cantyre, county of Argyll" and has quite a long section on the town and burgh. It's taken from "A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland" (1846).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Arguing with someone on the internet is like mud wrestling with a pig.
After a while you realize the pig likes it." - Anon.
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Local History and Discussion