Largieside AFC 1968

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Largieside AFC 1968

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:58 pm

Courier cutting

When Tayinloan had a pitch and men had hair! :lol: :wink:

Thanks Neil John
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby general jack o'niell » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:23 am

great pics, don't think i've ever seen gerry with a drink in his hand before? or smiling, come to think about it?
general jack o'niell

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:48 pm

general jack o'niell wrote:great pics, don't think i've ever seen gerry with a drink in his hand before? or smiling, come to think about it?

That must have been one of the rare occasions they beat us!!

That was a strong Largie team, lots of very good players in there, and not just the obvious ones either...Robert Currie, Neil Johnstone and the Parks were fine players indeed. They pobably were still getting the better of Southend at that point but the pendulum was just beginning to swing in our favour....around 1980/81 I would guess.......Archie Mitchell must have been injured or he would have been playing......I can remember his first game against us as a very young boy.....instant star!

I dont recognise the fellow between Willie PArk and Big Stone or the chap looking round in front of them...could hazard a guess but better let somebody name them for us.

The monumental tussles between Southend and Largieside will never be forgotten..., good standard of country football, verrrry tough, hard, dirty (well by them anyway!) not always friendly at the time but great friendships were made then that are still strong today.......I will never forget these happy times.......or Murdo's jacket :shock: :D
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Largieside AFC 1968

Postby SmithD » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:54 pm

Davie P wrote:Courier cutting

When Tayinloan had a pitch and men had hair! :lol: :wink:

Got to laugh quite a few of these guys don't have any hair left or it is got that silvery glint to it!!

When did Largieside stop playing football, I can just remember it and playing at Tayinloan in the park. 1968 is too early for me!!!!!

Its a pity they didn't start a tournement again with the original stars from all teams!!

John Park is probably the best to name people in the line ups of the teams!
SmithD
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Local History and Discussion