McNeill family history

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

McNeill family history

Postby robinoz » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:01 am

Hi, my grandfather/3 was Andrew McNeill, emmigrated to the Land of Oz in 1838. He (and his parents lived at Coalhill and Tirefergus).
I visited the area August 2006 and have some current maps. Hope to revisit 2008.

Are there any maps, showing residents and/or houses (circa 1830) of the area?
robinoz
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Try this and zoom in

Postby Dunc » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:19 am

Hope it helps.

http://www.nls.uk:8080/StyleServer/calc ... gin=false#

Dunc ( you will also find maps on Russell Carrolls site....http://www.campbeltownloch.com/news.php)
Only the truth has been changed
Dunc
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby robinoz » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:55 am

Thanyou Dunc, I made a copy of that map before we visited Cambletown last August (06). I drove (clockwise) from Campbeltown to Southend, then North to the Machrihanish road, looking for access to Tirefergus, (went to Machrihanash on another day).
To quote from the text I have about McNeill's ...
'Neil McNeill's maternal Grandparents are known, Neils Mother, Margaret, was also a McNeill (christened 11/05/1768) the only daughter of Torquill McNeill and Margaret McMath. Margaret had 3 brothers, John, Alexander and Malcolm. the parents were said to be living at 'Colehill'. From mid 19th C maps, it is evident that this is the site of the parish coal deposits, from where a canal had been dug in the late C18th to transport coal to Campbeltown. Colehill is in close proximity to two other sites where Andrew McNeill, Neil's father was resident. At the time of his marriage to Margaret, Andrew is listed in the parish registers as a weaver at 'Tirefergus'.
Is there a road to Tirefergus?
robinoz
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Roads.

Postby Dunc » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:53 pm

Robin there are roads both to High and low Tifergus Farms on various maps both old and new.

Dunc
Dunc
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Roads.

Postby jdcarra » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:56 pm

Dunc wrote:Robin there are roads both to High and low Tifergus Farms on various maps both old and new.

Dunc

Robin, ordnance survey map, but also check out this site http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/260369

jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Thanks

Postby Dunc » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:32 pm

Thanks JD.Scanner knacked.

What was the carrier off us yesterday??

Dunc
Dunc
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Thanks

Postby jdcarra » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:43 pm

Dunc wrote:Thanks JD.Scanner knacked.

What was the carrier off us yesterday??

Dunc

Missed that one Dunc, will enquire.
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Aircraft carrier

Postby Dunc » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:13 pm

Could'nt make out the number on her ...too misty but was here all morning together with couple frigates one possibly American.No fixed wing kites but two helios on her playing around..

Cheers

Duncan
Dunc
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby robinoz » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:02 pm

Thanks for the website ( http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/260369 ). What a wealth of images, I found some to add to my collection.
robinoz
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: McNeill family history

Postby Ceancille » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:04 am

Hi Robin,
I have just returned to the Kintyre Forum site and in looking through earlier topics I found your reference to your ancestors who lived around Tirfergus.
I am particularly interested in the McNeills who lived in the area of the Kintyre Peninsula as a part of a project which a couple of my friends and I are carrying out concerning the McNeills who lived in Argyll & Bute during the period of 1400 -1800 AD.
We have been working on this for over 12 months now and we have accumulated some very interesting records as well as friends around the world who have helped us.
I note that you live in Victoria and I live in South Australia. I will be visiting Victoria in April for the Ringwood Highland Gathering on 11th April. I would like to meet with you if that may be possible at Ringwood and I will be manning the Clan MacNeil information tent.
I am the president of the Clan MacNeil Association of Australia and perhaps you would like me to send a copy of our next clan newsletter to you. It will have some information about our ancestry project.
Ceancille
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Local History and Discussion