poor-house

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

poor-house

Postby witchnettle » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:50 pm

does any know where the poor-house was in Campbeltown? x
flag flax fodder and frig
witchnettle
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Mary G » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:52 am

The building that became Witchburn Hospital was the "poor-house", I am fairly sure. Don't what it is used for now, I realise. And it has been closed for quite a while now.
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Annie » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:08 am

Funnily enough it has been turned into flats.
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mary G » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:13 am

That got me thinking. So I googled (as you do), and found this fascinating resource that I had not seen before. Interestingly, it lists the names of those in the poor-house in 1881. That was some 80 years before I was born. The records are sobering, since many of the paupers listed where young children. So even if I did not know them personally in their later years, my parents and various relatives certainly would have done. While it seems like ancient history at one level ... 1800's, Victorian institution, Dickens-type images ... the connections to these times, and also these people, are closer than you might think.

You should look at this, if you have not seen it already, especially the listed inmates:
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Campbeltown/Campbeltown.shtml
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Back in time

Postby Dunc » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:35 am

I may be wrong but the poor-house was behind the Registry Office in Witchburn road ..actually where "Finance " is and was definitely a large separate red sandstone building.The hospital was up a bit.The same road was I think used to get to the "poor-house" as you go to "Finance" nowadays.
It was quite a large building and had lots of beds lined up in a row as I used to "keek" in there when I was small. Hate to say but when I was on the family tree trail I found one of "mine" in there.When you were ill and depending on your social standing you either went to the "Poor-hoose" or the Hospital.
On the family tree subject if you now go on Donald Kelly's excellent Fessenden site and cut across to the West Kintyre section all the Kintyre graveyards are now indexed showing all the "inhabitants" and a big plus point they indicate " missing stones".This is a fab.site by the way really a must see for those interested.

Dunc (low social standing)
Only the truth has been changed
Dunc
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:25 pm

Mary G wrote:You should look at this, if you have not seen it already, especially the listed inmates:

Fascinating website, Mary. Thanks for the link.
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jdcarra » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:03 pm

Mary G wrote:That got me thinking. So I googled (as you do), and found this fascinating resource that I had not seen before. Interestingly, it lists the names of those in the poor-house in 1881. That was some 80 years before I was born. The records are sobering, since many of the paupers listed where young children. So even if I did not know them personally in their later years, my parents and various relatives certainly would have done. While it seems like ancient history at one level ... 1800's, Victorian institution, Dickens-type images ... the connections to these times, and also these people, are closer than you might think.

You should look at this, if you have not seen it already, especially the listed inmates:

And I see i have got a mention also 8) . Always thought there might have been a bit of the Irish in me :o .
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mary G » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:45 pm

Dunc and jdcarra - I am sure that if we all examined our ancestry we would all be in that same boat, so to speak.

In any case, it is very timely to be able to quote Burns, since he had exactly the response to this phenomenon:

"The rank is but the guinea's stamp,
The man's the gowd for a' that."

and,

"The honest man, tho e'er sae poor,
Is king o men for a' that. "
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby petewick » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:01 pm

Mary G wrote:That got me thinking. So I googled (as you do), and found this fascinating resource that I had not seen before. Interestingly, it lists the names of those in the poor-house in 1881. That was some 80 years before I was born. The records are sobering, since many of the paupers listed where young children. So even if I did not know them personally in their later years, my parents and various relatives certainly would have done. While it seems like ancient history at one level ... 1800's, Victorian institution, Dickens-type images ... the connections to these times, and also these people, are closer than you might think.

I can remember some elderly relatives talking about so and so being admitted to the Witchburn Hospital and even then the stigma of going into what was the poorhouse was still prevalent.

petewick
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby chattichatton » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:35 pm

i have looked on duncan's site and can not find the link to the grave yard list any chance you could post the link on here for me :D
chattichatton
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Kintyre Graveyards.

Postby Dunc » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:13 pm

Dunc
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby chattichatton » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:23 pm

thanks for the link. what a fab site lots and lots of other info not just the graveyards have just spent a good hour looking at it. thanks :D
chattichatton
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby witchnettle » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 pm

thanks for all the info and for the great links. i was shocked to find my own name on the killean graveyard list, but when i discovered that it has been taken from my parents gravestone i breathed a bit easier, it was definately one of those "someone walking over your grave moments" !!!!!!!! :)
flag flax fodder and frig
witchnettle
Active Poster
Active Poster

Walking over grave.

Postby Dunc » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:23 am

Oh yes I know the feeling well....

Easier on the legs than wandering about the graveyards.Plus you can visit at night.

Pity they did,nt bury people in alphabetical groups thou!

Dunc
Dunc
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Local History and Discussion