Local Songs and Poetry

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:31 pm

I really liked Harbour Wall before I knew the background, and knowing the background makes it even better.
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby hugh » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:42 am

Thanks for the info about these songs, folks, will google and ask about for them. For the backgrounds too,
they seem just as intriguing.
Any Campbeltown/Kintyre connected songs on a c.d. compilation about anywhere? Would there be enough
good songs on the subject to make a half-decent compilation? Which would make the list first, Campbeltown
Loch or Mull of Kintyre?
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby LO » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:18 pm

hugh wrote: Any Campbeltown/Kintyre connected songs on a c.d. compilation about anywhere?

Hugh

I think there are still a handful of Campbeltown Loch Blues CDs by The Wild Sarachs available at Aqualibrium although the initial run of 500 is more or less sold out.

It feature the title track, Carradale Glen and Laggan's Braes. The CD also features a dance remix (no, honestly!) of Campbeltown Loch Blues by The Skeptik Thanx and Anne Leith's now legendary version of Trees.

The CD's not to everybody's taste but you can find out if you like the songs at www.myspace.com/wildsarachs

As the band donated the CD as a pledge to Opportunity Kintyre, we are not directly involved with distribution so I don't know if there are any plans to do another run, However, the songs are available for download via iTunes etc. (You can link from http://www.emubands.com/existinglabels.php?band_id=78 to find out more
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby general jack o'niell » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:52 pm

MOK and c/town loch are 2 songs that should be banned from any such recording, or wud such a cd come with a free tin of shortbread and a "see you jimmy" hat!!!

are you trying to put local traditional music back 50 yrs?
general jack o'niell

Postby LO » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:09 pm

general jack o'niell wrote:
are you trying to put local traditional music back 50 yrs?

General

Not sure if that's obliquely aimed at us or just at the previous post, but in our defence, the collective tongue was very firmly in cheek when we recorded our version of Campbeltown Loch.

Classic Wee Toon squeeze here! One section of the community is very unhappy that we've had a wee bit of fun with what they consider to be a sacrosanct local classic (and used a word that shouldn't be on the radio to boot), another group doesn't like the fact that anyone from "outside" hearing the song will find out that we have a loch full of you know what, and now the General may be accusing us of trying to put local traditional music back 50 years!

Ah well, .......... we wouldn't be doing our job properly if everybody liked it. Next time we'll try and find something nobody likes!
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby general jack o'niell » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:36 pm

it was the post before i was talking about, don't get your knickers in a twist, i just hate the whole andy stewart, swinging the kilt nonsense of the song, i know there a lots of people who love both songs, doesn't mean they have any taste, so calm down, it was ever who said that would be the first two tracks on a local cd that made my blood run cold, i've never heard the sarach's version, for all i know it might be brilliant, as long as it doesn't go down that andrew loyd webber route that comedian (use the term loosely) from ayrshire took a few years back

"its the polis afloat, on a dirty big boat, and they're shouting time chentlemun please!!!!!"

altogether now

oh oh oh
general jack o'niell

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:54 pm

Hugh, go to this thread for the info on the song that was mentioned "Harbour Walls." There are links there to hear the song, but also, Kenny gives the story behind it on that thread with pics.

http://www.kintyreforum.com/viewtopic.p ... or+harbour
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:09 pm

Always thought this song was about Campbeltown,but used to wonder where the canal was :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVUZuVZWHkk
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sweltered » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:34 pm

bill wrote:Always thought this song was about Campbeltown,but used to wonder where the canal was :?

The canal ran from the Pit head to the roading, via hillside and Millknowe
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:12 pm

Sweltered wrote:
bill wrote:Always thought this song was about Campbeltown,but used to wonder where the canal was :?

The canal ran from the Pit head to the roading, via hillside and Millknowe

Learn something new everyday,and there was me thinking it was a burn :? :lol:
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby hugh » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:56 pm

Thanks again! Lots of stuff to look out for when I've got a bit more time. It was me who mentioned
"Campbeltown Loch" and "Mull of Kintyre", but that was kinda tongue in cheek.

Bill; wee bit of a coincidence here. It was Ewan McColl who wrote "Dirty Old Town", (as you probably know).
I saw him at the Civic back in the mid eighties. I'd always quite seriously thought that "Shoals of Herring" was
written locally, but there was Ewan on stage explaining that he'd written it for a T.V. programme way back
when.

Thanks again all, for the info.
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby general jack o'niell » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:28 pm

the canal must have filled in a good bit over the years, we could jump it easily even as kids, except sweltered of course, i seem to remember him losing a shoe? it always smelled a bit too, surely there are pics of it somewhere, i've seen pics of a great aunt as a child taken at the mill dam.
general jack o'niell

Postby hugh » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:07 am

Thanks again, Bobbie and co. for all the pointers. "Harbour Wall" is a pretty decent song. The background info
does enhance it, but I think even without that knowledge it stands up by itself. You can get the sense of triumph
over the grave from the song as it is... plus it's nice to hear something a bit fresher with a local slant. No
offence intended to anyone here, but "Sweet Island Davaar" (which seems to be the "party" favourite) wears
a bit thin after a while.
Also, is it just me or does anyone else think that "Band On The Run" qualifies as a local song? References to
county judges, jailer man, sailor sam etc.? Are these connected to the famous ex local farmer's produce being
seized by the blue meanies? Or is that just a stoney thing (if you know what I mean (and I think you do..)).
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby LO » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:26 am

hugh wrote: plus it's nice to hear something a bit fresher with a local slant. No
offence intended to anyone here, but "Sweet Island Davaar" (which seems to be the "party" favourite) wears
a bit thin after a while.

Hugh

Given Kenny's background, you get 100 extra points for the use of "slant" and 200 if it was deliberate!
Re: "Sweet Island Davaar", most people I know think it's a bit of a toe-curler and that's before they've been to the party.....

Don't know about Band on the Run, but legend has it that Cream's "White Room" was inspired by the Cheese Room on Sanda.
Altogether now, "In the Cheese Room......"
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby hugh » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:56 pm

LO.

I don't consciously know Kenny or his background, I just liked the song, so I'll settle for the 100 points.

Cheese room in Sanda? Never heard of it. Was it Jack Bruce who was linked with Sanda way back when? would
that be the connection there? I always thought "White Room" was one of Cream's drearier numbers (and that's
saying something), but I'll dig it out over theweekend and give it a play and see if it's still as cheesy.

Prettty busy at the moment, but will definitely give the acquithingy a ring about that C.D. when I've got a bit
more time and will also checkout "A New Hope'" sometime soon.

Thanks again for the info.
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

PreviousNext

Return to Local History and Discussion