Davaar Lighthouse

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Davaar Lighthouse

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:19 pm

I was reading about the lighthouse on Davaar Island on visitedscotland's link and wondered if it was so:

This was built in 1854 by brothers David and Thomas Stevenson – the former being the father of the more famous Robert Louis Stevenson. Apparently the lighthouse was built on the mainland first using numbered bricks which were then brought over to the island! The other buildings at the northern end of the island were sold by the Northern Lighthouse Board and are now used as holiday cottages as the lighthouse has been automated since 1983.

Another site said that it was originally built in the 1788 and remodelled by Stevenson's grandfather.

I have never heard any of this before and find it very interesting. What is the real story about the lighthouse and the connection to Stevenson.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bruce » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:40 pm

The Northern Lighthouse Board confirm the lighthouse was built in 1854 and that David and Thomas Stevenson were their engineers at the time! I can't remember where I read about the numbered bricks, but it makes for a more interesting story for what must have been a relatively easy building compared to the conditions some were built under!
Bruce
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Malky » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:41 pm

Northern Lighthouse Board has a website that should give you all the information.

Try http://www.nlb.org.uk/ourlights/history/davaar.htm, then follow the link to the engineers, David & Thomas Stevenson. There's a family tree somewhere in there too.

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:02 pm

I know the painting is important, but it seems that this would also be of historic interest to visitors, maybe greater....
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bruce » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:07 pm

I've just checked on the details for the Mull of Kintyre lighthouse. That was built in 1788 by Thomas Smith supported by his son-in-law Robert Stevenson - the grandfather of Robert Louis... so maybe you were getting the two lighthouses mixed up?
Bruce
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:31 pm

Yes, my error. I had no idea how many lighthouses in scotland were engineered by the Stevenson family. The Sanda lighthouse was made by his uncle, the Mull of Kintyre by his grandfather, Davaar by his father and another uncle, and a long, long list of other lighthouses their family was credited with.

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1436039

Someone should do a Stevenson Family Kintyre Lighthouse Tour service. How many others listed on that site are in Kintyre?
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bruce » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:43 pm

I think those are the only three in Kintyre!

I see on the NLB site that Thomas Smith is said to be Robert Stevenson's step father - I thought he was his father-in-law! So, I checked further and it turns out he is in fact both :roll:
Bruce
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby chrisduffy » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:24 pm

Hi Bobbie

Did you see the photos I posted of the Mull of Kintyre Lighthouse? One of them is of the makers nameplate (Stevenson)

http://www.kintyreforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1812

This time next week i shall be up there for my annual diving trip and the friend i stay with is now the keeper/maintenance man for the Mull and Davaar lights, (I,m counting down the days :) )
chrisduffy
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby witchnettle » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:32 pm

recently the davaar lighthouse seems to be flashing all the time, even on nice sunny days. Has this been fixed now, or is it supposed to do this. x
flag flax fodder and frig
witchnettle
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:35 pm

Oh nice! Seriously there are lots of lighthouse people around. Someone could do a tour, first walking to Davaar and back.. then down to Sanda to stay at the bed and breakfast and a tour of the lighthouse ... then off to the Mull of Kintyre and back to Campbeltown. I can see it now. They would get a walk, a boat ride, a night in a bed and breakfast and one of the most remote pubs, some breathtaking views, a beautiful tour of Kintyre, along with the fascination of the link between the author and his family. I should be a travel guide. Yes, I'm sure of it :lol:
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby chrisduffy » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:39 pm

recently the davaar lighthouse seems to be flashing all the time, even on nice sunny days. Has this been fixed now, or is it supposed to do this. x

Dont think the actual light is usually on, but the refractor has to spin all the time to keep it cool inside.(think sun and giant magnifing glass :) 8) )
chrisduffy
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Bruce » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:50 pm

chrisduffy wrote:

Dont think the actual light is usually on, but the refractor has to spin all the time to keep it cool inside.(think sun and giant magnifing glass :) 8) )

I think the light was actually on... at times the sun was in the wrong place for it to have been a reflection!
Bruce
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Local History and Discussion