Southend building, wotsit?

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Re: Southend building, wotsit?

Postby sooze » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:35 pm

Southend Comunity Council did ask Argyll & Bute Council about this several years ago as we were concerned about kids getting into the building through the open windows and all that was done was that the owners were compelled to re board them up on the lower floors.

Sooze
sooze
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby maganru » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:59 pm

This is my first ever message on this site! I had my wedding reception in Keil Hotel in 1978 and a great night it was too. I also worked there for the Kelly family prior to that in the bar, along with James McCorkindale, during the holidays. Those were the days when Scottish families holidayed in Scotland for their entire fortnight's holiday and the hotel would be packed all summer. Every Saturday night, too, regulars would come in, mainly local farmers, Neil Paterson of the garage, Murdo McLeod of Southend Primary School among them. Even the band Wings came in one night - without Paul McCartney! Those were great days when Southend could sustain two hotels and do it well. I will always have many fond memories of Keil and, yes, it would be wonderful if it was restored to its former glory. However, it would probably cost too much. Best suggestion of all the messages was as a hostel for walkers on the Kintyre Way. Can someone organise this please?
mos
maganru
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby sconeface » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:45 am

If you've seen the film Hostel - then I think you probably could be right!
sconeface
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby AP » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:54 pm

AP
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby fredrike » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:28 pm

Does anyone have any photos of the interior (or the exterior) of the hotel in it's glory days?
fredrike
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Lonesome Cowboy » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:24 pm

I went there during the 70's a nice hotel.

Mentioned in the song "Back to Coniglen"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzDY7N589Y0
Lonesome Cowboy
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby pedrodan » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:10 pm

I know this post is quite old but i have a bit more info on the hotel. The last owner as far as i'm aware (Never knew if they bought it freehold or leasehold) was my brother and his partner and sadly i played a part in its downfall (long story involveing money) something i'm not proud of now but 20ish years ago when it happend i was a bitter and twisted person who wanted revenge on a family member who had upset me in the past. That said the hotel was failing fast with a couple of long term guests who used to work in the area and the odd party being held there, i stayed there for a few months around 1989 maybe 1990 can't remember exact date too many years of a miss spent youth has past. It was a bloody big place! The flat roof was constantly being patched while i was there and several rooms on the top floor were out of use because of leaks. From the roof the views were spectacular and as already mentioned it was a "leading lights" building as it was used for navigation. I can remember on quiet nights we would shut the bar and all go down to the only pub in Southend (Don't know if its still there). I even worked as a butcher for a short while in Campbletown in the co-op i think!
Anyway thanks for posting a picture of it i'm now able to show the wife and kid what the place looked like and fill in a bit more of my past for them!
pedrodan
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby jdcarra » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:59 pm

Hello pedrodan

Some of my pics seem to have disappeared,i will look into it and replace them.
As I stated in my earlier post my last visit there was with some of my family,granny,auntie uncle one weekend back around the date you mention whilst staying at caravan, possibly we may have met.

The other pub is the Argyll Hotel which is still on the go bought by Campbeltown man Willie Penman.I have pics posted somewere on here of it.
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ChrisA » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:09 am

Well, we were up for a visit a week or so ago, and decided to go up to the hotel for a ganders. Noticed a lot of activity around the place so I spoke to the guy who looked like the gaffer. Decent bloke, he said that his dad had actually just bought the place, and his building firm were on there to strip everything out/shore everything up prior to renovation. I asked what his dad was gonna do with it and he was pretty vague (seemed unsure to be honest), he thought it was possibly going be a hotel again. If so, I'd be questioning his business savvy. I mean, where are his customers coming from? Also, looking the building close up,
it' s obvious that the costs of renovation will be nothing less than astronomical. There are hardly any floors left at all, for a start! Don't envy the bloke, and not convinced about the future, but at least something is happening with it.

ChrisA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby History » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:47 am

ChrisA wrote:he thought it was possibly going be a hotel again. If so, I'd be questioning his business savvy. I mean, where are his customers coming from?

It's such a nuisance, all these local hotels with staff busy cooking, cleaning rooms,serving food to empty tables, making beds that no one has slept in and the reception staff with no visitors to greet, now that really is annoying.:roll:
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby maganru » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:18 pm

I do think that there is room for a hotel of the right size and the right price in Southend. It is such a unique building in a very special place and it deserves to be renovated. Good luck!
mos
maganru
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby ChrisA » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:20 pm

History wrote:
ChrisA wrote:he thought it was possibly going be a hotel again. If so, I'd be questioning his business savvy. I mean, where are his customers coming from?

It's such a nuisance, all these local hotels with staff busy cooking, cleaning rooms,serving food to empty tables, making beds that no one has slept in and the reception staff with no visitors to greet, now that really is annoying.:roll:

I can see you are trying to say something ironic there, not sure what though. Get to the point eh? :wink:
ChrisA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:29 pm

ChrisA wrote:
History wrote:

I can see you are trying to say something ironic there, not sure what though. Get to the point eh? :wink:

Where do the customers come from in all the others places in rural Scotland that have successful businesses? There are very popular hotels in Islay and Arran - either side of Kintyre - so why not on Kintyre? We have just as much to offer as these places. 8)
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby History » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:47 pm

ChrisA wrote:I can see you are trying to say something ironic there, not sure what though. Get to the point eh? :wink:

Nothing ironic there Chris, just good old sarcasm.

If Keil ever opened again as a hotel I am positive that it would be one of the most popular around. Not sure what you use for accomodation when you visit but even in the winter the hotels are busy. Just curious as to why you should make the assumpton that we are not busy most of the time and that Keil would not have a market?

As you say costs would be huge to bring it to the standard it deserves. Time will tell if the venture is "good business savvy" but to be honest Chris did you think the son of the purchaser was going to tell you their plans or how much capital they have in the bank?
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby ChrisA » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:40 pm

History wrote:
ChrisA wrote:I can see you are trying to say something ironic there, not sure what though. Get to the point eh? :wink:

Nothing ironic there Chris, just good old sarcasm.

Definition of which, is 'dramatic irony'. :wink:

As for other stuff, look, don't get the wrong end of the stick. I love Kintyre, have delved into its' history (social and architectural) , and always advocate visits to all I know. Going on the defensive is pointless - I'm NOT attacking!

With that in mind, re Kiel hotel the questions would be pretty simple:-

At what what point was the hotel in its heyday?

What caused the decline?

What's changed now that would reverse that decline?

Rhetorical questions of course - as I know the answers - and that's why I asked the first question re 'the customers'. In essence, I was instigating a discussion around the potential of the building, that's all.
ChrisA
Active Poster
Active Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Local History and Discussion