RAF Machrihanish

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

RAF Machrihanish

Postby Wired 2 The Moon » Sun May 28, 2006 11:02 pm

I noticed this topic has been braught up before by Davie Paterson beacuse of an email he had received.

I have read an article about RAF Machrihanish which i found very interesting.

Here is the link to the article

I noticed this topic has been braught up before by Davie Paterson beacuse of an email he had received

http://www.dreamlandresort.com/black_pr ... anish.html

its is seriously worth reading

Enjoy
Wired 2 The Moon
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby jane59 » Mon May 29, 2006 12:24 am

Very interesting indeed......many moons ago(no pun intended )we lived at Plantation cottage and we could hear rumbling underground and my dad was convinced he could hear men talking from below ground.........he asked around and was told(from a good source) there were underground tunnels leading to the base ..........definately strange goings on !
jane59
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Wired 2 The Moon » Mon May 29, 2006 1:55 am

i heard a story about these tunnels aswell. Cant remember where i read it, but they were supposed to be linked to a bunker underneath the base and went on for miles.

So if they went on for miles then that would mean they would be outside the base. This means that there is an entrance to the tunnels somewhere.

would be interesting to look this up on some old maps.
Wired 2 The Moon
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Sweltered » Mon May 29, 2006 5:20 am

My father worked down the Machrihanish pit in the late fifties. I remember him telling us about digging tunnels and silos at the base. There a re still a few ex miners in the town taht mey be able to shed some light on this
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Wired 2 The Moon » Mon May 29, 2006 1:37 pm

My uncle told me that there is tunnels all over Britain and at one point you could cover the length of the country Underground. It could be true because of the war.
Wired 2 The Moon
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby yabo675 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:52 am

Ha..this is funny.. as an ex-navy brat that was there in the 80's I ran all over the place out there. The bunkers were all storage areas used by the MOMAG unit(mobile mine assemby group), no secret tunnels or underground bunkers to be found. The Gaydon Hangar was just that.. a big hangar, if I remember right it was mostly RAF personel/contractors in that hangar, the team was in the long building next door. Used to ride my bike in the hangar.

Those that remember the movie White Nights(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090319/) was filmed out there, the fake 747 they blew up for that was hosted in that hanger, along with all the movie crews for how ever many months they were out there.

The "Brown Structure, use unknown" on that site was the chute loft(For drying/hanging/repairing parachutes), supply and gym/training area/showers for the SEALS, the 2 large garage doors behind it were where the SEAFOX(http://www.warboats.org/seafox.htm) boat was stored/worked on, along with a few other offices.
yabo675
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Sweltered » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:24 am

yabo675 wrote:Ha..this is funny.. as an ex-navy brat that was there in the 80's I ran all over the place out there. The bunkers were all storage areas used by the MOMAG unit(mobile mine assemby group), no secret tunnels or underground bunkers to be found. The Gaydon Hangar was just that.. a big hangar, if I remember right it was mostly RAF personel/contractors in that hangar, the team was in the long building next door. Used to ride my bike in the hangar.

Those that remember the movie White Nights(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090319/) was filmed out there, the fake 747 they blew up for that was hosted in that hanger, along with all the movie crews for how ever many months they were out there.

The "Brown Structure, use unknown" on that site was the chute loft(For drying/hanging/repairing parachutes), supply and gym/training area/showers for the SEALS, the 2 large garage doors behind it were where the SEAFOX(http://www.warboats.org/seafox.htm) boat was stored/worked on, along with a few other offices.

I'm not suggesting any secret tunnels etc My father WAS a miner, he told me they dug out what can only be descibed as silos. Not to pour scorn on your story but lax as security was out there, I can't believe they let kids into everywhere and everything.
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby yabo675 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:02 am

I spent plenty of unsupervised time around the SEAL team area when my dad was working out there on that side, and spent some supervised time over at the MOMAG side and have seen the bunkers, they are much like other munition storage bunkers that I have seen around the world in my later life.. we were stationed at many of the "top secret" bases those conspiracy sites mention and it was nowhere near the things they dream up on those sites...some people give the government a wee bit too much credit.

There was not exactly top notch security anywhere on that facilty.. We often used the gate back by the hangar, I remember an old civilian guy named Ronnie that was usually on duty during the day out there,(he was also an extra in White Nights in the scence with everybody in the hangar post-crash).. not exactly the type of security you would expect at a site that the protestors claimed stored "nuclear backpacks". To get across to the far side of the runway(in our regular civilian vehicles) you would pull up to the edge of the active runway, sit and wait for the tower to notice you and they would signal you it was clear to cross..remember sitting there for extended periods many days waiting for someone in the tower to wake up and signal you across.

I don't doubt may of those storage bunkers were pretty deep, there was quite a bit of standard NATO muntions stockpiled out on that side, but if anything I would be more suspicous of the NATO refueling facilty/pier on the Campbeltown Loch with the giant underground fuel tanks.
yabo675
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby bazza » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:53 pm

Wired 2 The Moon wrote:My uncle told me that there is tunnels all over Britain and at one point you could cover the length of the country Underground. It could be true because of the war.

ask him if they link-up witht he bunker on hill 60.

Bochan Mor served some time down there too so mebbe he knows if it goes so far as Machrihanish.
bazza
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Kevin.H » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:27 pm

Yabo675,

What years were you there? I to was a Navy brat, I thought I owned that place. I was there from 84 to 86.

Kevin
Kevin.H
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Goldielocks » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:10 am

I was at Machrihanish in the 70s my dad was R A F police, he told me the tunnels were used for storing Brown Sugar, and as far as he knows its still there :wink: :wink: :D
Goldielocks
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Martin » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:52 am

Last edited by Martin on Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Goldielocks » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:34 pm

Hi Martin the name seems familiar, but my dad wouldnt let me have anything to do with the M.Ps he knew he could trust me :D but not them :( I was there the same time as Billy Andrews and Pat Harper also Rebecca Weldrich which would be 71 to 73 remember doing the same things as you did. Did you use the Squash courts? these were the days :D
Goldielocks
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Martin » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:03 pm

Last edited by Martin on Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ninja Mania » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:17 pm

Maybe one of you above can remember a couple of brothers called Willie and Sean Ross ? I played in the RAF team with them back in middle to late 70's maybe even early 80's
Anyone know of them or their where abouts ?
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Local History and Discussion