McMurchy at Culinlongart and Achnaslisaig

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

McMurchy at Culinlongart and Achnaslisaig

Postby lmfamilyresearch » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:51 am

Hello,

I am researching my McMurchy ancestors who lived at Culinlongart and Achnaslisaig (sp?) in the late 1700. My ancestor, Catherine (born about 1822) emigrated to Canada in about 1841 with her brothers Archibald, James (who settled in Webster City, Iowa) and at least 2 or 3 other siblings (of which 1 or 2 died at sea - according to some information I've received). Both Archibald and Catherine married Cameron siblings (whose family was from Glassary, Argyll and moved to Southend). Her father was Donald McMurchy and I believe her mother was Nany (Ann?) Kelly (Kell?) (from their marriage OPR). I have a scan of a page from Kintyre Families (by Angus Martin) that indicates that "Donald McMurchy in Balimacviccar leased Achnaslisaig, 1776". I believe the Donald (mentioned in the quotes) is the father of Catherine's father.

Does anyone have any information relating to McMurchys in Kintyre (particularly my ancestors)? It is very difficult to find much information on the McMurchys.

Thank you,
lmfamilyresearch
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Local History and Discussion