New Decimal Money!

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Old Coinage

Postby Graham Sharkie » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:24 pm

I remember dredging the wishing well at bellochantuy to get the old pennies and spend them in the post office shop. fantastic days.
Graham Sharkie
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Wishing Well!

Postby Annie » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:19 pm

Is the darn thing still there, or have they built something over it already??????
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Wishing Well

Postby Graham Sharkie » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:19 pm

Aye, its there ok. a bit dried up now since they blasted the new road thru. Better to keep clear of it now.
Graham Sharkie
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby WLB123 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:20 am

You all are making me feel old. Maybe that's because I am. LOL
Anyway, I first came to Scotland in '71 just after the money changed to decimal. I was in the U.S. Navy and stationed at Holy Loch. There was great confusion in the shops for a while about the money. They had charts and pictures and all that. We Americans on the other hand were used to it as the dollar had always been 100 pennies to the dollar etc. I can truthfully say we all helped in the transition around Dunoon, Greenock and Gouroch in the shops. Many times I saw sailors in a news agent or tobacco shop etc helping out. The only thing we never understood was there was no 25 pence coin at that time that would equate to our quarter dollar so you ended up with a LOT of 10 pence coins in your pocket and they seemed huge to our 10 cent coin called a dime. We always joked that you had to devide your change up or the weight of all the 10 pence coins on one side would make you walk with a list to that side.
WLB123
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Previous

Return to Local History and Discussion