Southend

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Southend

Postby calgaryok » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:56 pm

Hi, hope everyone had a great Christmas. I am looking for help in finding any information on our flat at Southend. We have the upper flat of the house ( Stanmore) which we believe is over 220 years old. We believe the house which is at the corner of teapotlane next to Muneroy Tearoom was once a cobbler show with the shop being below the flat we have. We also had some stories that some people from the village rented a room in the house etc. So trying to get as much information as possible as to the history of the house and if anyone knows people who owned it before the previous owners to us in 1992. Also would love to see any old photos if available.

hope someone can help.

Many thanks

brian
calgaryok
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Southend

Postby dunc99 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:01 pm

Have a look here for some old photos.

http://www.kintyreforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=13584

I think thathere is at least one that shows your house.

Good luck with your search
dunc99
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby lynne.d.ward » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:06 pm

Hi Brian

My Dad was able to give me a bit of information about the flat (he lived in Southend from 1940-1959). My Grandfather bought the flat from the Duke of Argyll approx 1951/2, but only had it for a short time. He recalls that around 1954/5 that the Soudens lived in the flat. They were in the upstairs flat & a family named Jordans lived downstairs.

If I can get anymore info I'll pass it on - good luck with your research.

Lynne
lynne.d.ward
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby skrik » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:21 pm

The cobbler was Archie McInnes who was also the church beadle. He is in Angus MacVicar's book "Heather in my ears".
skrik
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Return to Local History and Discussion