The late John McWhirter

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

The late John McWhirter

Postby Tommy Ralston » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:10 pm

A good while back I asked for your help in getting some sort of public recognition for the totally unpaid service given by John McWhirter to Campbeltown Lifeboat for a period of over 40 years. I cannot find anyone in the UK who achieved anting like this.
The lack of response from you honestly shocked me.
I find it impossible to reconcile this with what I see in your columns. Caring Campbeltoninians? Aye, right!
What were you afraid of? That offending someone in power might adversely affect your own chances of an MBE?
Patrick Stewart in now, I believe, Lord Lieutenant of Argyll. Did any of you think of asking him if he could help?
Never mind, I told the late John that I would much rather have people wonder why I hadn't got an "honour?" than have them wonder why I had got one. He gave me a wry smile in return.
Go on - come back with your anonymous smart ass comments - that is about all that most of you are fit for. Think on it.
Tommy Ralston.
Tommy Ralston
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: The late John McWhirter

Postby gizmo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:51 pm

I am afraid I did not know John McWhirter and I am sure he deserved some form of recognition for his years of service. Did you ask Patrick for his help?
However your comments about people on here, who you probably dont know personally, were over the top.

"Go on - come back with your anonymous smart ass comments - that is about all that most of you are fit for. Think on it."

Maybe you should think on that. How the hell do you know what anyone on here is fit for? Behave yourself.
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: The late John McWhirter

Postby petewick » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:15 pm

Am sure John wouldn't have liked to see you so upset Tommy.
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Local History and Discussion