old photo stewarts green

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

old photo stewarts green

Postby Trapper » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:39 pm

Found this cracking photo during a clearout, Not sure what the date is or the occasion, but it looks like forces farewell before they go off on some imperial jaunt (boer war?).

Trapper
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Kinloch Road Resident » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:31 pm

Wow - what a wonderful photo Trapper.

Getting on myself but not that old!
Kinloch Road Resident
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Ship called Dignity » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:31 pm

Trapper - absolute cracker!!

Can I get it for the Down Memory Lane site? ;-)
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Jeanette » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:00 pm

Trapper

The "wee Grammar" in the background was known as St John Street infant school and was built in 1906 as a fee paying primary under the control of the Grammar School rector.

The last Boer war finished in 1902, four years before the school was built. Maybe the photo is of some locals off to WW1??
It looks as though it was taken from the other old technical school across Stewarts Green in the building now known locally as the "Toblerone Hooses".

I don't think many of us will have seen that image before now. The original would look good restored. What a crowd of people!

jeanette
Jeanette
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Trapper » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:53 pm

Aye davie course you can have it for the site.
Trapper
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: old photo stewarts green

Postby BarbaraJ » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:44 am

Dating this photo:

I have a large (perhaps 18x20") of the original photo that was given to my family by my Granny. Some years ago I posted a scan of this photo on my genealogy web site hoping someone would find it and tell me what the occasion was.
http://girvangenealogy.com/campbeltownscene.html

Here is a link to a blow-up of the "stage" in the photo.
http://girvangenealogy.com/stage.jpg

The man in front of the stage wearing the "skin" is my grandfather's brother, Archibald Girvan, who played the bass drum and to his left is my grandfather, Robert Girvan, a piper with the 8th Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders in Campbeltown.

As to the date of the photo, my grandfather Robert Girvan died 10 June 1912 at age 24 of tuberculosis. So he must be in his early 20's in this photo.

I would assume the date of the photo to be between about 1908 and 1912.

Perhaps the local history society could shed some light on the year and the event?
BarbaraJ
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Local History and Discussion