Aucharua farm

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Aucharua farm

Postby Alinebrown » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:15 pm

Can anyone give me any information about this farm, my 6x GGrandfather lived\worked here before he died in 1793 (Angus Taylor) I am curious as to how many families actually lived on the farm, and am amazed to find out it is still a working farm. It was owned by the McDonalds of Sanda apparently. I hope to visit the farm when I am in the area next May, and take some pictures, with prior permission of course, I hope it is granted, realizing this is someone's home, and may not appreciate a tourist tramping around :? Any info on this farm would be appreciated.
Alinebrown
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: Aucharua farm

Postby Tom B » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Hi Aline

Our family (Barbours) moved to Aucharua Farm in mid 19th century from Ayrshire, and are still there! - not me personally though

Also found this interesting article which mentions Taylors and Barbours at Aucharua

http://library.uis.edu/archives/collect ... AYLORJ.pdf

Lots more connections which others will pitch in with....
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby gray_marian » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:47 pm

Tom B, Thank you for sharing the above, tis a joy to read. :)
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:05 pm

It's a wonderful read, Tom.

I've been through the Duke of Argyll census for 1792 and can't find Aucharua anywhere. Grrr.

However, on the Farm Horse Tax Rolls for the end of the 18th century, there are two people listed - Archibald Taylor who had three horses and Duncan McNicole who also had three horses.

in 1851, there was one family (and their farm servants) living there headed by John McMillan, a farmer of 190 acres who employed five labourers. There were 13 people in total.

I haven't found the farm on the 1861 or 1871 census yet, but in 1881, there were 17 people living at Aucharua. Two families - the farmer, John Barbour (must be Tom's rellie), and John McConechy's family. He was a farm servant.

By 1891, there were three families and 26 people. John Barbour was still the farmer (and inspector of the poor and registrar). There was also the families of John McSporran and Robert McDonald - both of them were farm servants.

The farmer and his family would live in the farmhouse and the farm servants in smaller cottages.

There are some references to the farm of Achowrowe being part of a land transaction in the mid 17th century - this will probably be connected with the Duke of Argyll's land grab after the defeat of the McDonalds at Dunaverty.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Alinebrown » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:15 pm

I have been researching this for some time, I wondered why I couldn't find the farm on the Duke of Argyll papers, but it was owned by the McDonalds of Sanda, and there are very few records of these tenants, there are other Taylor's who worked\lived at Dailmore, but they are not the Taylors of Aucharua. It was very confusing for a while. But I believe I have it sorted now. I think, maybe :D
Alinebrown
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Alinebrown » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:18 pm

Thank you so much for that article, what an interesting read. Never knew I had relatives in Illinois. I am related to Angus Taylor's daughter Flory, the sister of the brothers who migrated to the States. She married Donald Montgomery. Their marriage cert says he was from Blasthill?? difficult to read, was this also a farm, near Aucharua. I can't wait to visit next year and absorb all this history!
Alinebrown
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Alinebrown » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:22 pm

Thank you Shona for that additional information. Every little bit helps.
Alinebrown
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Shona » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:31 pm

If it was owned by the Sanda McDonalds that will explain why it isn't in the Duke's census.

Yes, Blasthill is the right name. I'm sure that one is on the Duke's census. I'll have a wee look later.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:02 pm

There are three people listed in the Farm Horse Tax Rolls for the end of the 18th century:

1 Donald Morrison.
2 Archibald Watson.
3 Godfrey Montgomery

Each of them had two horses.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Alinebrown » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:14 pm

Godfrey Montgomery was my 5x GGrandfather, Donald's father.
Alinebrown
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Shona » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:47 pm

Those tax rolls were for Blasthill.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Alinebrown » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:10 am

Yep that makes sense, Donald's marriage banns say he was from Blasthill. Is this still a working farm as well as Aucharua?
Alinebrown
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Shona » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:55 am

The last I heard Blasthill was still a working farm. I think the owners are McConnachies.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby skrik » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:47 pm

Aye, they were both in the old charters of the lands of St. Ninian. Old spellings which may help your research were :-
AUCHARUA = Acharua, Auchruae, Auchroy, Acharoy, Achorowe, Achowrowe. ( from Achadh Ruadh = The Red Field).

BLASTHILL = Blast Hill, Blastill, Blasteill, Blastaill, Blaisdale, Basteill. ( from either Blar Stail or Bla-thaisdeil = Field of the congregation / pilgrimage ) There is a 5000 year-old Neolithic chambered cairn in this vicinity where Pagans would have gathered to carry out their rites.
skrik
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Alinebrown » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:23 pm

Thanks for the additional information, yes, the OPR birth cert I have says "Achroy" which I now know has several different spellings. Also the meaning being Norwegian in origin is fascinating. Sounds like an interesting area, looking forward to my visit.
Alinebrown
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Next

Return to Local History and Discussion