Aucharua farm

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Re: Aucharua farm

Postby jwbas » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:08 pm

Some of my McLachlan relatives lived in Aucharua Cottage from about 1905 till the 1930s. Is the cottage on Aucharua Farm and does anybody know if it still exists.
JW
jwbas
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby skrik » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:42 pm

You can GOOGLE the cottage at PA28 6RF, and the farm aswell.
skrik
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby wheechmcgee » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:09 am

Dear Aline, I am currently researching Angus Taylor and Florence Thomson for a US client who will be visiting Aucharua this summer - midges and all!! I can confirm that Angus had daughters including Flory Taylor. I am interested that someone has given a Viking twist to the name of the place as my view it is a Gaelic place name. Aucharua (anglicised as Achroy) comes from 'ach a ruadh' which means the field of red. Why it got this name I am not sure; possibly it was covered with red flowers or red heather or more gruesomely it may have been an old battlefield. I am a professional genealogist in Scotland by if you want more info contact me at wheechmcgee(at)hotmail.co.uk, regards John McGee :D
wheechmcgee
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby skrik » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:43 pm

It's the red earth and rock that gives it the name .
skrik
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Previous

Return to Local History and Discussion