The Drome

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

The Drome

Postby paraffin man » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:57 pm

Everdybody in the area in some way shape or form has been involved with the RAF base at some time in their life. There must be loads of history & stories from out there. loads of folk have worked out there or seen something going on??????
paraffin man
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Drome

Postby Katiemac » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:14 pm

Pete Wick

Last year the Civic society ran bus tours around the toon and outskirts on ww2 sites. It was very informative. We were given a couple of pages with places names and dates but just now I cant get my hands on them.
This is what I can remember of the tour about the base:

The base was set up pre ww2 by the Royal Navy. I think the runway was near the Bleachfield farm. Navy bases were named after birds. The style of bricks had to be shipped here as they were not made locally.
During the war up in a field at High Balevain Farm up Tangy way there was a mock runway set up, where a couple of chaps stayed and when the Gerry planes were sighted they would put on the lights to draw their attention away from the drome and bomb the hill side instead. You can still see the roof of the mens quarterswhere the genarators were by the roadside at the farm.
The RAF then took over the camp in the early 60's.

A lot of buildings about localy that have the same brick work belong to the MOD.
Kilchousland was a gunnery that was never used with a water reservior for the quarters, there is a building at the new sewage site I had never seen before it was for the boom that ran at an angle to Davaar Island to stop U-boats entering the Loch as it was full of Ships.
Katie
Katiemac
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Katiemac » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:41 pm

woops :oops: sorry Parafin Man and Pete Wick got my names mixed up. :D
Katie
Katiemac
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: Drome

Postby Campbeltown Airshow » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:35 pm

Katiemac wrote:Pete Wick

Last year the Civic society ran bus tours around the toon and outskirts on ww2 sites. It was very informative. We were given a couple of pages with places names and dates but just now I cant get my hands on them.
This is what I can remember of the tour about the base:

The base was set up pre ww2 by the Royal Navy. I think the runway was near the Bleachfield farm. Navy bases were named after birds. The style of bricks had to be shipped here as they were not made locally.
During the war up in a field at High Balevain Farm up Tangy way there was a mock runway set up, where a couple of chaps stayed and when the Gerry planes were sighted they would put on the lights to draw their attention away from the drome and bomb the hill side instead. You can still see the roof of the mens quarterswhere the genarators were by the roadside at the farm.
The RAF then took over the camp in the early 60's.

A lot of buildings about localy that have the same brick work belong to the MOD.
Kilchousland was a gunnery that was never used with a water reservior for the quarters, there is a building at the new sewage site I had never seen before it was for the boom that ran at an angle to Davaar Island to stop U-boats entering the Loch as it was full of Ships.

Watch later in the week on the www.mullofkintyreairshow.co.uk site for the history of the airfield section. This also includes archive photographs also.
Campbeltown Airshow
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby petewick » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:24 pm

Katiemac wrote:woops :oops: sorry Parafin Man and Pete Wick got my names mixed up. :D

How dare you mistake me with the likes of him

PETEWICK :wink:
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:33 pm

i thought a palindrome was a friend that lived out at the base
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RNAS Landrail/RAF Machrihanish

Postby Machrihanish » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:34 pm

Little bit of info here with links to more...

http://www.machrihanish.net/RNAS_Machri ... drail.html

Cheers
Machrihanish
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Local History and Discussion