Quarry Green Arena

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Quarry Green Arena

Postby EMDEE » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:26 am

Anyone have any memories and reminiscences of the outdoor concerts at the arena at the Quarry Green in front of Pensioners Row? I know that I was there on many Saturday nights in the 1960s. Is this something that could be revived at another venue to promote the tourist industry or is it really a thing of the past?

:?:
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Quarry Green Arena

Postby bill » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:34 pm

Yes happy days Emdee, made more so by the fact there was no alcohol on sale. If it were to be revived I would think there would be a liquor license applied for.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby MPR » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:44 pm

I have a distant memory of the salvation army playing in the bandstand there. May be just a thing I heard about, but in my old minds eye can see them there, quite a crowd also, could be some kind of town gathering or???/
MPR
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby WC1 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:04 pm

My recollection of this 'arena' is that it was used mainly for open-air dancing rather than concerts, and that's what was advertised in the old Town Council's summer entertainment programme. 'Local artistes', as the Courier used to put it, often performed popular or Scottish songs as part of the entertainment, not that Scottish songs weren't also popular. It was basically a rectangular area marked out by strings of coloured lights with a platform against the wall. Wooden flooring was put down to make it more suitable for dancing, though I'm not sure if that was there from the outset. I remember my mum and dad dancing there while the other kids and I stood at the side and look on mortified. Obviously it was very much weather-dependent, and was short-lived for that reason.

As for "Quarry Green Arena", I think that's a misnomer. I remember the term 'Quarry Green' as referring specifically to the area where the paddling pool was, not the whole of the grassed area from the New Quay Head down.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby MPR » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:32 pm

yes quarry green down kilkerran and did there not used to be some type of bandstand circle or something there.If you stood on the road facing the green, the bandstand thing would be to the right of the paddling pool close to the old lifeboat station building
MPR
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby EMDEE » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:03 am

To my knowledge, the grassed area from New Quay Head to the Paddling Pool has always been known locally as the "Quarry Green". I've never understood specifically why, but assumed there would be an historical reason.

I am, however happy to be corrected if someone knows the correct "official" name of this area.
Last edited by EMDEE on Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:22 am

MPR wrote:yes quarry green down kilkerran and did there not used to be some type of bandstand circle or something there.If you stood on the road facing the green, the bandstand thing would be to the right of the paddling pool close to the old lifeboat station building

Correct MPR, There is indeed a concrete bandstand at the Paddling Pool which may have been used at one time, (I always thought it looked like a boxing ring) but the "arena" that I am talking about was a slabbed enclosed area adjacent to the New Quay Head where open air concerts were held in the 1960s. There was a temporary stage set up for the purpose. Regular appearances were made by Ceannloch Pipe Band.
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby skrik » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:44 pm

Work commenced on the Quarry Green in 1897, by reclaiming land from the seashore and in-filling to form an embankment.
It took 33 years to complete (1930).
skrik
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby gizmo » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:28 pm

As I understand it the paddling pool area was originally a quarry. I remember the Salvation Army playing there donkeys years ago in the "bandstand"
I have only over heard of the reclaimed land on the loch side of Kilkerran Road being referred to as the Quarry Green, probably is a misnomer but so is Lochend Street, Shore Street and the Milldam.
I remember the slabbed area up by Pensioners Row being used infrequently, it could be worth trying it again maybe with young musicians in some form of jamming sessions and of course organised events as well.
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby bill » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:25 pm

I certainly recall the pipe band playing in the "bandstand". Sadly though I don't remember why.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:04 pm

gizmo wrote:I have only over heard of the reclaimed land on the loch side of Kilkerran Road being referred to as the Quarry Green, probably is a misnomer but so is Lochend Street, Shore Street and the Milldam.

Gizmo, as you are probably already aware, there are historical reasons for Lochend Street and Milldam. Why Shore Street is so named is a different matter. North Shore Street on the other hand was on the shore before the reclamation of the Mussel Ebb, in the same way as Lochend Street was at the end of the loch.
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:13 pm

bill wrote:I certainly recall the pipe band playing in the "bandstand". Sadly though I don't remember why.

If you mean they played at the arena at the New Quay Head, then I know that this was an arrangement which was in place for a while and was an alternative venue for the regular Saturday night appearances which prior to and since then have taken place in the Main Street.
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby gizmo » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:23 pm

The bandstand was the concrete structure down at the paddling pool. I have something in my head telling me I seen te pipeband down there as well but wasnt sure.
Emdee, Shore Street used to be the shore. I may be wrong here but I think there used to be rings in the wall at the bottom of the Manse house behind where the Rex was where boats used to be tied to. (I hope I havent dreamt this).
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby EMDEE » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:25 am

gizmo wrote:Emdee, Shore Street used to be the shore. I may be wrong here but I think there used to be rings in the wall at the bottom of the Manse house behind where the Rex was where boats used to be tied to. (I hope I havent dreamt this).

It would certainly make sense of the street name if this were the case. Is there any info on dates of this reclamation? it must surely predate the infilling of the Mussel Ebb and the Quarry Green. Is there a date for the building of the Christian Institute?

I had never heard of the rings at the back of the Highland Church Manse before.
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby skrik » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:08 am

Building work on the Christian Institute began in 1885 and it opened in 1887 as the Athaeneum reading and lecture room closed.
Mussel Ebb reclaimed between 1878 and 1880.
skrik
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Next

Return to Local History and Discussion