cattel market+nets

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

cattel market+nets

Postby eddie mitchell » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:05 am

the old cattle market and then net store aney pics
:idea:
With true friends...even water drunk together is sweet enough. ?
eddie mitchell
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Cattle Market

Postby Frosty » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:09 am

I remember the market well Eddie , but I'm afraid that I haven't any photos.
Listening and watching the Auctions in the shed was always interesting.
How all the traffic on market day managed to cope in such a small street always amazed me too.

Regards
fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby eddie mitchell » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:17 pm

sorry frosty for not replying till now, the hustle and bustle
then was something I remember going there with my grandfather whistling Ned he worked there cleaning up the plays
we wood whit wash the walls and generally maintain it that was
my pocket money job I was very young then but I remember
they wood drive the cattle up to the Slater house it was lick the wield west went one wood escape sometimes round the town a those were the days working for your sweaty money
eddie mitchell
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:51 pm

I came across of photo the other day showing two men with fishing nets on a barrow, outside a net factory in Campbeltown. Is that the sort of thing you're looking for?
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby eddie mitchell » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:32 pm

Beachcomber wrote:I came across of photo the other day showing two men with fishing nets on a barrow, outside a net factory in Campbeltown. Is that the sort of thing you're looking for?
absolutely beachcomber that's the one, any photos wood be appreciated{any photos regarding Kintyre as I have very little from my life in the toon} there are ones of me knocking about also I am shore.
eddie mitchell
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Cattle Market

Postby Frosty » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:55 am

Eddie ,
Good to see you back posting.
I knew your Grandfather , and visited the market frequently myself.
Great memories of a very busy and loud place.

regards

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:04 am

OK here you are then. Click the picture for a larger version.

Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby eddie mitchell » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:40 pm

:D thanks for that beachcomber I don't now when the photo was taken but am shore I remember that barrow, I think it was panted green I recall a fisher man giving me a go with the pant brush on it when I was a little boy looking back maybe that was the catalyst for me to join the {wee funny men} :lol: and check out these waders,and frosty old Ned was sum man all rite
and lots of people relied on him to get up in the morning white his whistling when he was cleaning the streets I always had plenty of marbles from him still miss the old man
eddie mitchell
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby general jack o'niell » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:13 pm

:?:
Last edited by general jack o'niell on Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
general jack o'niell

Postby eddie mitchell » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:33 pm

general jack o'niell wrote:bet you got a shock last time you were home to see flaws & shaws turned into houses, few people knew that charlie was a spitfire pilot in the war
ye your rite and I had forgotten all about Charlie my grand father told me that,I remember the turn styles at the start of the pear and the old man you had to pay to go down the per we just went down the ladders and along the skegs to save money
eddie mitchell
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby general jack o'niell » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:38 pm

:roll:
Last edited by general jack o'niell on Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
general jack o'niell

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:26 pm

eddie mitchell wrote::D thanks for that beachcomber I don't now when the photo was taken but am shore I remember that barrow, I think it was panted green.

I think it was sometime in the 1920s.
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jaywalker » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:12 pm

I can only just remember the turnstiles,(any photos anyone), but do remember running around under the skeegs,some days there seemed to be dozens of boys under there, still cant figure out how nobody ever fell in and drowned, if my boy tried that he wouldnt be able to sit down for a month :? ... RE the barrow, does anyone remember Shoogly Willie the tinker, the younger tinkers used to push him around in a similar barrow in his final years. :lol:
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you!
jaywalker
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Sweltered » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:50 am

jaywalker wrote:I can only just remember the turnstiles,(any photos anyone), but do remember running around under the skeegs,some days there seemed to be dozens of boys under there, still cant figure out how nobody ever fell in and drowned

Someone did actually, my uncle was there at the time. Can't remember the name of the boy that drowned, Wardrope comes to mind but I'm not sure.
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby eddie mitchell » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:29 am

Shoogly Willie think they push him in to the toon from the trench point and by beer and cider then go to the war memorial to get drunk and argue with etch other,and under the skeegs we wood fish for congers and lobsters dogging the discharge from the old toilets and the wash of the boots, one or tow boys fell in and cut them self's on the barnacles and I remember on the fisherman's rafts one boy falling in and I pulled him out by his hair his mother gave me sixpence for saving his life enough to by a big bar of chocolate,and we wood dive of the boots in to the loch that's when basking sharks came in the loch and porpoise I am sure someone did drown but cant remember if he was a local or not to many people have throw the years
eddie mitchell
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Next

Return to Local History and Discussion